News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another "What is this?" - Stromberg Carlson?

Started by Bill, June 18, 2012, 11:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

I picked up this magneto phone a while ago, and would like to know more about it. I'm unable to find any  identifying markings anywhere, with the exception of "Mfd by Stromberg Carlson Telephone Company" stamped into the back side of the transmitter housing. But nothing on the inside or outside of the wood case, the magneto, the ringer, the induction coil, the condenser, the label, etc etc.

The case looks very much like a S-C Model 896. However, there are several major factory-original internal differences which, taken together, suggest that it may be something else. As an example, every factory description of an 896 that I've found makes a big deal of the fact that S-C does not mount the magneto on a shelf like those other (inferior) manufacturers, but bolts it directly to the backboard. But in this phone, the magneto is on a shelf, and the shelf is rabbeted into the sides of the case. Similarly, placement of many of the components is quite different from the descriptions of an 896.

The receiver does in fact look like a S-C #6A. It appears to be made of hard rubber, which is quite badly chipped and gouged. I'm not sure the gouges can be filled, so I'm looking for suggestions on what to do with it.

On the center-right of the label, there is a notation "Cut loop when using key". I have no idea what this means. Any help? The phone does not appear to have this switch.

Incidentally, the transmitter mouthpiece is very nicely made - out of hardwood! What's up with that? It is too nicely made to be homemade.

Any info is welcome.

Bill

G-Man

It looks as if your set was created by a refurbisher such as Telephone Repair and Supply(TRS)/Dan Mac.
They would actually remanufacture sets for telephone companies out of parts on hand. The result was factory-looking product complete with new wiring harnesses.

Often they would mix and match components from various manufacturers.

In this case they also provided an option to install a key that would allow secret operator signaling so as not to disturb the others subscribers on a party-line.

paul-f

In the early days there were literally hundreds of "manufacturers" of telephones.  Many served local markets and assembled phones from parts bought from various sources, so their models may have changed from year to year.  Many didn't mark their names on the phones.

There is a list of some of them in Kate Dooner's yellow book, pages 158 - 173.  (Telephones: Antique to Modern)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line