"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Odd E-1 handset

Started by Sargeguy, October 27, 2010, 08:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

What is the deal with this hndset???

http://tinyurl.com/245zke6  (dead link 1/29/2021)
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

It appears to have been painted black, for one thing.  Numerous F1 handsets have been found painted black over black bakelite, apparently by the refurb shops, so I don't see why an E1 couldn't have been as well.  It could also just as easily be the case that the handset is just filthy.  Second, the transmitter is the early barrier button type, but it's lost it's barrier (bullet cover) somewhere along the line.  Also, it appears somebody sloppily masked off the center depression bearing the W.E. inscriptions and shot it with gold spray paint.

None of that is a disaster, though, and it's a good price for a B-mount.
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

Thanks, I will do a complete run-down when it arrives.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

Quote from: Sargeguy on October 28, 2010, 10:00:22 PM
Thanks, I will do a complete run-down when it arrives.
It's a really nice 102, you beat me at the wire, I thought I was going to steal it.....its a beauty...Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

Sorry!!!  Did anyone win this one:  Ebay Item 230542108497? (can't post link, blocked at work).  I was the high bidder for about 3 seconds until I got outbid with 1 second to go 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dennis Markham

Greg, looks like andrewsjwa was the winning eBay member......according to Terry's list, it's John Andrews.

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

bingster

= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

Where is this list I have heard so much about and how do you see the handles?  on my computers the bidders names are obscured.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Phonesrfun

Terry Biddlecombe a.k.a. ae_collector publishes an Excel spreadsheet of that information.  e-Bay hides the handles with the x***y type designation.  Terry has compiled the list from several years of information that he and others have gathered.

I believe there was a thread on this forum a couple months ago with a link to the spreadsheed, but when I just did a search, I could no find it.  Undoubtedly, someone will be able to point you to it, or you could send a PM to Terry.  Do you have Excel?  If not, there is some software out there that you can download that will open Excel files.  I think it's free.
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

I just found the thread:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3201.0  (dead link 1/29/2021)

-Bill G

AE_Collector

Quote from: Sargeguy on October 29, 2010, 07:48:40 PM
Where is this list I have heard so much about and how do you see the handles?  on my computers the bidders names are obscured.

You can look up the bidder code on the ebaY handles list but since there can be many bidders with the same code (it is only 2 digits long) you have to look at the feedback number as well. Depoending on how recent the ebaY Handles list is AND how active on ebaY the person is, the feedback numbers can be a fair bit different. The ebaY Handles list number is always going to the same or lower than the current number found on ebaY. If you find a likely candidate on the ebaY Handles list and want to confirm it, do an "advanced search" for a "member" using the suspected handle that is associated with the bidder code and see the current feedback number. If it matches the feedback number on the auction that you are trying to "crack", you've nailed him.

Terry

Sargeguy

Here are a few pics of the phone right out of the box:

The paint is good overall but the cradle exhibits the usual wear

The gold-sparay paint/paper label turns out to be some dried carpenter'd glue? that chipped off in one big piece.

The transmitter is a complete F-1 which just has a screen covering it.

The felted wool pad is in ok condition but will need re-sueding eventually

Further inspection reveals a couple more features. 

The inside is painted black, as bingster predicted although it retains the 3-29 date stamp. 

The mounting cord is a little odd-it is rubber but doesn't have the expected wire restraints.  Instead it has the tie-down cord that runs through the wire. 

The F-1 type handset cord is reinforced where it comes out of the receiver:

The plunger base is a little different from the base on my other 102, and the ones in the schematics.

Here is what it will look like with a dial and new handset.  The dial is a #2 conversion to a #4.  Unfortunately it is not the type with the lettering around the outer edge.  The E-1 came out of the handset bin, it is my last seamless handle  (the caps are seamed).  The cord is original but in need of a bath. 

< edit 02-09-22 : externally linked images attached >
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

Other than the usual wear to the cradle ears, the paint is really, really nice on it.  One odd thing about the original handset is that it appears to have a transmitter cartridge and not the bullet transmitter as I had though.  But instead of the common fiber screen covering it, it's got a piece of screen like the bullet type has under the barrier. 

Very nice phone. :)
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

The normal fiber screen is underneath the wire mesh.

The twins:

< edit 02-09-22 : externally linked image attached >
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409