News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

British GPO 232 ("Pyramid")

Started by LarryInMichigan, November 20, 2012, 03:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I finally found one of these for less than a fortune: ebay link.  It had a starting bid of $25 and a $60 BIN, and I didn't expect it to last five more days, so I pushed the button.  It is obviously missing the front plate of the drawer.  I hope that I can improvise something.  The WE external ringer is a small bonus.  Perhaps the dollar bill is also included :D

Larry

Owain

Drawer front and knob is £10 from GPO Spares; posting to USA shouldn't be too much as it's small and light.

The diagram should be pasted on the inside of the base, and the clear sleeve would hold a card having local dialling codes.

LarryInMichigan

Thank you for the link.  I sent them a message asking what the shipping charge would be.  Hopefully, the phone will arrive safely. 

I will probably add a small capacitor inside the phone.

Larry 

kleenax

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 20, 2012, 03:51:27 PM
I finally found one of these for less than a fortune: ebay link.  It had a starting bid of $25 and a $60 BIN, and I didn't expect it to last five more days, so I pushed the button.  It is obviously missing the front plate of the drawer.  I hope that I can improvise something.  The WE external ringer is a small bonus.  Perhaps the dollar bill is also included :D

Larry

Larry; I have an original drawer front and matching drawer pull if you want to restore it to original. email me if you are interested.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

twocvbloke

Nice find, they tend to be a bit* more more money over here where they originated... ;D

You don't need to add a capacitor to this one, that's only required for the bell , which that WE bell will probably have fitted already, or just connect it up sans-bell and answer when another nearby phone rings... :)

Have a read about it here:

http://www.britishtelephones.com/t232.htm

:)

(*read, lots and lots and lots more!!)

LarryInMichigan

Well, I expected this to happen :'(!  The phone arrived late this afternoon with a chunk of bakelite broken off of the bottom side.  I warned the seller that the phone was extremely fragile.  The handset was wrapped in newspaper, and the phone and handset were placed into a plastic bag loosely filled with foam packing "peanuts".  There was nothing much to keep the phone from moving.  Under the plastic bag was the WE ringer wrapped in paper.  I think that the phone bumped on the ringer.  I sifted through the packing material and found a broken piece of bakelite and tiny bakelite crumbs (as well as a live insect).  I can glue the broken piece back in place, but it will leave noticeable damage.  Fortunately (and amazingly), it appears that nothing else was broken.  I contacted the seller and sent him the picture below.  I sure don't want to ship the phone back to WA.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

The seller replied quickly and offered me a $20 refund, so I accepted.  Hopefully, I can repair the damage so that it will not be obvious.

The WE ringer which came with the phone is really big and heavy, and the gongs are quite loud.  Does anyone have any idea of what it might be worth?

Also, I would like to find authentic looking cloth line and handset cords for this phone, if they don't cost a mint. 

Larry

wds

Beautiful phone.  Hopefully you can repair that damage without it being too obvious.  I sold one of the We ringers a while back, and I think I got about $20.  Those things are pretty common.
Dave

LarryInMichigan

QuoteI sold one of the We ringers a while back, and I think I got about $20.  Those things are pretty common.
That is about what I figured.  It is hardly worth listing on ebay.

I just gave the phone a quick test, and it does work.  Of course, it makes my voice sound like I am talking on a 1930s British phone.  It's interesting that there is no capacitor (or condenser, for that matter) in the circuit.  The bakelite is seriously dirty, but it looks like it should clean up well (whenever I have a chance to do it).

Larry

AE_Collector

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 26, 2012, 07:18:40 PM
Does anyone have any idea of what it might be worth?

Not much really. I too sold one for about $20 on ebaY to someone who wanted a LOUD ringer for his garage.

Terry

Owain

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 26, 2012, 07:38:03 PM
I just gave the phone a quick test, and it does work.  Of course, it makes my voice sound like I am talking on a 1930s British phone.  It's interesting that there is no capacitor (or condenser, for that matter) in the circuit. 

I say, how seriously spiffing old chap! Something to show the vicar when he comes round for tea and cucumber sandwiches!

The ringing condenser would have been in the bellset and would have been common to the whole installation. 

A little chip adds character and now it's already been in the wars you can use and enjoy it without feeling that it should be in the Display Cabinette with all the other valuables.

And, of course, you can keep your eyes open for a perfect one. In all the colours.

HowardPgh

Larry-
Nice phone. I would have been waaay more upset if the damage was on the front where it would always be noticable.
Howard
Howard

twocvbloke

When you think about it, the phone has survived WWII, so a little chip on the side isn't much in comparison to something that could have happened to it in the past... :D

AE40FAN

Nice phone!  Damage could have been Way worse can't wait to see it cleaned up :)

LarryInMichigan

I am attaching a scan of the wiring diagramme.