News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

18 Bar Magneto

Started by wds, August 10, 2015, 07:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I recently found in my parts pile a 18 bar magneto.  Quite unusual, 6 bars across, 3 deep.  Turned nice and smooth, put out about 100 volts a.c.  Anyone seen one of these before, and know who made this?
Dave

Dan/Panther

Maybe it's not phone related.
I have no idea what it may have been used for though.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

wds

It came out of a wood phone, complete with receiver arm and ringer.  Looked like a normal old wood phone box (firewood) until I pulled the magneto out and noticed all the magnets. 
Dave

unbeldi

Quote from: wds on August 10, 2015, 02:35:58 PM
It came out of a wood phone, complete with receiver arm and ringer.  Looked like a normal old wood phone box (firewood) until I pulled the magneto out and noticed all the magnets.

I think I have seen these before, perhaps a Sears&Roebuck catalog phone?

Magnets on generators came in all kinds of shapes, some an inch wide, with two next to each other, and two deep (2x2) and others.

CanadianGuy

Quote from: wds on August 10, 2015, 02:35:58 PM...like a normal old wood phone box (firewood)...

I'm hoping you mean the phone was wrecked? Some people cringe at the thought of a good wooden phone box being thrown away or (gasp!) burned haha!

wds

Oh yeah, it was a mess.  The wood was dry rotted - not even sure it would make good firewood.   I did save all the hardware.  Below is a picture of a few of my wood phones. 
Dave

Dan/Panther

Quote from: wds on August 10, 2015, 02:35:58 PM

Maybe someone else could use that firewood.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson