News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

White Kellogg 1000

Started by wds, August 24, 2015, 11:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Did anyone else see this auction.  It ended before I could get a question answered by the seller.  I asked him if the color was paint, and he said no.  To me it looks painted, but it sure is nice looking.

white kellogg 1000
Dave

LarryInMichigan

I missed that one.  Someone got quite a find.  I wouldn't be surprised to see it reappear and sell for several times that amount.

Larry

unbeldi

Well, it was definitely not a metal shell.
The set seems to be in excellent condition, so the question that arises for me, is why doesn't it still have the matching handset cord.

david@london

what a great phone.
i agree with larry that it went for a song, considering its condition. if i'd been lucky enough to have bought it, i would now be worrying about damage to the shell on its trans-atlantic flight.
another photo of a white kellogg 1000 in this post on the forum........

wds

Well, that's what I get for hesitating.  Could have been mine! 
Dave

dsk

Did not know about other than black redbars. Did they make them in other variants too?
White was nice here.

dsk

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: dsk on August 24, 2015, 01:43:00 PM
Did not know about other than black redbars. Did they make them in other variants too?
White was nice here.

dsk
I think I've heard of Red too.

This one definitely looks real to me. It also looks like it was a great deal as well!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

LarryInMichigan

There were black ones with metal shells.  They are not so common but not particularly valuable.  Even I have one.  The Select-O-Phone version of this phone was made in brown bakelite.  There is some demand for them in good condition.  I don't recall ever seeing a white one before.  I wonder what material it is (plaskon possibly?).

I would have been hesitant to pay $150 for a Kellogg 1000 that might have been painted.  I have seen a number that were painted by OPW or Phoneco.  This one definitely looks like the real thing.

Larry

unbeldi

Quote from: dsk on August 24, 2015, 01:43:00 PM
White was nice here.

dsk

It not a REDBAR!

It's a Whitebar.   ;D   But officially these were all 1000-series Masterphones. Kellogg never used that term.

None of the catalogs or sales brochures mention color versions, or even the metal housing.

I think it was Roger Conklin who confirmed that these were only available on special order.

Kellogg had their own proprietary Bakelite development, I think they called it Kellite, IIRC.

dsk

It has to be original in some plastic material, or a replica plastic shell, so I go for original.
I have one of those metal shells and it is repainted but not nice.
Still, I guess I keep it black.

dsk

david@london

unbeldi -  or a clearbar by the look of it.

larry - re the white shell: i have wondered what type of material these are made from too - i imagine that 'white bakelite' is probably a bit of a shorthand term for non-technical people like myself. your suggestion of plaskon is interesting.

there is some discussion of kellogg 1000s in other colours such as red & green in the link 7 posts above.

Ktownphoneco

That is a very nice telephone.     In addition to their looks, especially in colors, I would imagine Kellogg 1000 sets were well received by telco technicians with their pull out and push in component modules.      When I restore a red bar, I re-touch the white paint in the company name in the recessed letters located in the Bakelite ring around the transmitter cup.       I also add white paint to the letters "KELLOGG" in the red bar plunger.      It brings the logo in the ring back to life, and gives it a nice touch.

Pictures in PDF attached.

Jeff Lamb

Doug Rose

I went to bid on it just past 11AM at work and it was over. I just missed it. I think it is real but Old Chicago did some nice paint, There was a mark on the handset by where the cord went it, but.....who knows. I was going to gamble. The clear bar was in Kellogg color sets. I do agree with Karl, where were the cords? Either way Old Chicago would have used their skinny repro cords. Some times the bear bites you. My guess is it was the real deal and the Newbie seller cost themselves a lot of $$ with a BIN......Doug
Kidphone

Jon Kolger

It sure looks real to me.  I have had several of these over the years, and they all had black rubber cords.  They were made in several colors, but are rarely seen.  I have an ivory one like this, and a red one that is unfortunately cracked.  I have also seen a green one, and a blue one that was also badly cracked.  They were molded in color, not painted.  Someone got a good buy on this one.  Note the clear hookswitch bar.