News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dumb question about Kellogg redbar phones.

Started by Greg G., December 20, 2010, 04:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Why is the switchhook plunger a red bar?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

Some are clear bars.
There is at least 2 styles of the bar.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

baldopeacock

'cause the competition didn't use red bars?   I'd think it was about product identity, in part.   Also since WE had used the one-piece switchhook on the B and D mounts, there's some logic to it.

Phonesrfun

Because if it were any other color, they could not call it a "Red Bar"!,  Silly!
-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 20, 2010, 12:08:47 PM
Because if it were any other color, they could not call it a "Red Bar"!,  Silly!

Of course!  Silly me!   :D
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

dsk

:D
I've never seen a redbar for real.
Sometimes I have had discovered errors caused by people not placing the handset properly on the cradle.

I guess this will be more visual with a redbar.

dsk

Dennis Markham

Since this topic started I've been searching for a discussion that took place on the ATCA List and probably on the TCI list too.  Vern Potter asked the question if there were "Red Bars" with a plunger bar with a color other than red.  The response was that there was a Clear Bar and possibly a Green Bar.  I thought someone posted a photo of the Green Bar but I cannot locate it.  Sound familiar to anyone?  I think there was also a photo posted of a Clear Bar but again, I can't find the photo or link.

I looked through Kellogg Mike's site and see original pamphlets for the Master 1000 (Red Bar).  The only one in color shows a Red Bar.

Doug Rose

I have seen the clear bars on some metal sets. I have heard the rumor of a green bar, but I have never actually seen one.....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Doug, I did find a photo of a black "Clear Bar" on the TCI picture place.  I also found a couple photos of a Green "Red Bar".  The phone is green, similar to your North Galion.  The phone belonged to Bob Loeser.  I've e-mailed him for permission to post the photos here.  Hopefully soon, I will post those photos.  Perhaps that is the confusion over the green bar, but I still think I saw a photo of a phone with the green bar---or I dreamed it.  It is the decaffeinated version of the Kellogg Masterphone 1000.

HarrySmith

I remember that discussion also. Just looked back in my emails and there is a mention of the discussion going back into 2009 but I cannot find it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dennis Markham on December 21, 2010, 08:59:34 AM
Since this topic started I've been searching for a discussion that took place on the ATCA List and probably on the TCI list too.  Vern Potter asked the question if there were "Red Bars" with a plunger bar with a color other than red.  The response was that there was a Clear Bar and possibly a Green Bar.  I thought someone posted a photo of the Green Bar but I cannot locate it.  Sound familiar to anyone?  I think there was also a photo posted of a Clear Bar but again, I can't find the photo or link.

I looked through Kellogg Mike's site and see original pamphlets for the Master 1000 (Red Bar).  The only one in color shows a Red Bar.

I remember hearing about Greenbars, I think I saw the photo as well.
It may be mentioned on Paul F.'s site.

Paul Mentioned a purple/white swirled redbar.
Jim
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

paul-f

Here are some photos of clearbar K1000s.

I don't recall hearing of any confirmed sightings of a green bar, but do remember hearing about a green clearbar.

Does anyong remember if Ray K ever cast replacement bars?  ISTR some discussion about the possibility several years ago.  If he did, we may find them in any color!
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

HarrySmith

In searching for the discussion on the greenbar I did see a mention that Ray had made redbars and was working on clear ones.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

paul-f

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Adam

Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820