News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help I.D. this Terminal Block

Started by c64man, May 04, 2014, 09:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c64man

Just curious to know what type of terminal block this is??,  going to be using it in TimmyNet

Terminal block by slandon110, on Flickr

twocvbloke

Quote from: c64man on May 04, 2014, 09:42:36 PM
Just curious to know what type of terminal block this is??

A long one...  ;D

Haven't a clue myself but looks like it has plenty of space to wire in many pairs of wires, so perfect for your telephone system... :)

poplar1

This is a 30-type connecting block. These were used prior to the introduction of 66-type punch-on blocks. They were often mounted inside metal G-type terminal boxes, which were painted green or brown.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/8887-461-601-100-i1
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Wow, that looks really bothersome.. I love how convenient it is to wire in a 66 block, rather than loosening and tightening a bolt.

Ben

poplar1

My friend E.D., who retired in 1985 after 30 years with Southern Bell/AT&T, said that they used to take a week to install a key system. There really was craftsmanship practiced in the era where these blocks were used. They didn't use staples--rather clamps for the key system cables, and the clamps had to be spaced just so. Perhaps in central offices there is still the same attention to detail, where you can visually follow cables instead of just having them haphazardly thrown together.

We once bought all the left-in phone equipment in a 12-story building in downtown Atlanta for $100. On each floor, there were terminals like these used for distribution points on each end of each floor, fed by 12-pair cloth-covered cable.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.