News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

For those who don’t know how to use a multimeter safely.

Started by Key2871, March 06, 2021, 12:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Quote from: Key2871 on March 07, 2021, 03:43:36 PM
...my phone loves to screw up, as in the header on this post, it was supposed to read for those who don't...
But as anyone can see it didn't quite work out...

Amended that for you.  :)

Our go-to multimeter, shown here (to right) in my BT tools case. 'Meter Multifunction 1A' issued by British Telecom (BT).
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

I saw, thank you..
I like your test kit, very neat and orderly.
KEN

19and41

I keep an old Fluke 77 and also have a Simpson 269.  A good book on multimeters is worth it's weight in gold.  I had a text from my radio school at Ft. Sill That got borrowed so much that it fell apart before my second enlistment was up.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Here's a few shots of my "Pencel" tester with NCV tester.
The probe retracts or comes out of the tip by twisting the collar, the extra Common lead has a gator clip that connects on the end. Everything is pretty well made and insulated really well. This model has been discontinued not sure if they make them anymore.
The tip lights green when voltage over 80 volts is absent, a Red led flashes in the presence of voltage over 80 volts, and it beeps to alert two ways that voltage is presant.
Rather handy devise and although it doesn't have a lighted display, it is easy to read, easy to handle nice to have one probe in each hand and still have a display to see in your hand.
The black on the screen bottom right is a shadow.
KEN

Jim Stettler

Quote from: 19and41 on March 08, 2021, 03:43:04 PM
I keep an old Fluke 77 and also have a Simpson 269.
I am old school and like a Simpson.
However,  I typically use a fluke meter rated  cat 3 @600v meter. For low volt I don't have a problem using a CAt3 rated @ 300v. Work requires me to use a cat3 @ 600v in case an electrician uses my meter. A cat 3 rating means you won't die if the meter explodes, which can happen.
A Simpson is great for swingers.  The reason a Simpson is great for swingers, is that the analog meter face is much faster than a digital display.
If using  a fluke digital meter, I find swingers with continuity. The speaker is faster than the display.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

I had looked at getting a Simpson again, as well as a fluke, but they were out of my price range. And yes analog are faster I had problems with them going out of adjustment.
I still keep my eye out for a nicer meter, but since I don't do a lot or this type of work any more I can't justify spending the $$$ on the real nice meters.
I had a Simpson years ago, but sold it, wish I had kept it.
KEN

FABphones

Quote from: Key2871 on March 08, 2021, 06:45:09 PM
Here's a few shots of my "Pencel" tester with NCV tester...
easy to handle nice to have one probe in each hand and still have a display to see in your hand...

I like the design of those, well worth having.

——

Came across this Multimeter in the local 'cheapie' store. Looks very similar to the Harbor Freight meter.

Cost was under €5 ($5.91) including battery (which can cost half that price). It reminded me of this thread so thought it worth buying for a comparison.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

19and41

It looks like a useful meter.  It's 9v battery is usually a stable power source and provides good resistance/continuity measurements,  Looks like a good set of probes also.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Hey nice find, I think I would have bought that too.
Looks decent enough quaility I like the test leads from what I can see of them, I like the booted part the goes in the meter. I remember the old pin type that could sometimes come out of the port they were supposed to be in. Bareing the pin was never a good idea when testing night voltages. Especially in the UK, that's near double what it is here in the states.
KEN