News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE early 302s, vents under the cradle, 6 vents vs 7 vents?

Started by Witty, March 16, 2021, 10:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Witty

What stands out most to me is the thin ribs vs fat ribs between the spaces. Makes it much easier to spot which is which without counting spaces.
We now know at least 3 members have, or had, one of the 7 vented phones.
I have 3 vented phones, one on display, but the others are boxed up to work on later. I'll have to dig them out and check them.

Ken
Ken

Jim Stettler

When small plunger, short eared or vented 302's  come up,
I look at Hal Belden's Chart
http://vintagephone.com/HB302.htm

He doesn't mention the number of vents.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Gary Z

I guess I got lucky. I found 2 of the 7 vents on my workbench and several more with 6 vents. I never noticed the difference. Both the 7 vented are dated III-37. One of them has riveted feet and the other feet are screwed.

Gary Z

Witty

Roody,
To have 2-7 vented 302s to begin with is awesome. The 2 7-vented phones with the same quad dates as ones previously found is very interesting. That brings up a question as why that vent was created differently for this short period of time, and if the material it's made from is different.
Thanks for your contribution!

Ken
Ken

MMikeJBenN27

Wow!  I have never seen 7 vent one before, and I thought I had seen everything!

Mike

poplar1

Quote from: Roody on March 16, 2021, 10:31:44 PM
I guess I got lucky. I found 2 of the 7 vents on my workbench and several more with 6 vents. I never noticed the difference. Both the 7 vented are dated III-37. One of them has riveted feet and the other feet are screwed.

Gary Z

Gary, what month is stamped on the baseplates? The induction could have the quarter but the 1937 baseplates should have the month such as 9-37.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Gary Z

"Gary, what month is stamped on the baseplates? The induction could have the quarter but the 1937 baseplates should have the month such as 9-37."

One of them is blacked out and the other is 8-37.

Witty

I finally got around to unpacking some stored phone boxes, found my 2 vented 302s, and cleaned them up some. One of them happened to be a 7 vent phone. I've added photos of the two
The 7 vent phone base is stamped 8-37, H1 above the mouse hole and screw on pads
The 6 vent phone base is stamped III-37, H1-3 above the mouse hole and riveted pads.

I've had boxes in storage for 10-12 years because of work demands, until I finally retired months ago and starting to unpack them. It's amazing to find things you completely forgot you had.
Like a WE 5M dial. I'll have to look that up and see what it would have been used on.
Also, a small wall metal phone with fancy embossed lettering... ELYCIA DEAN, then below that..ELYRIA, OHIO, U.S.A.
I'll take some pics of that when I'm in the shop and start a diff. post for comments.

Ken
Ken

poplar1

5M and 6H are equivalent to 5H and 6A, except that they have 164C number plates. Used on 5300-series Telephones.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Witty

Quote from: poplar1 on April 09, 2021, 09:30:52 PM
5M and 6H are equivalent to 5H and 6A, except that they have 164C number plates. Used on 5300-series Telephones.

Thanks Poplar1
I think I have a 5302 boxed up to clean up somewhere. I was probably gonna work on it years ago when I boxed up everything. That explains it.
Thanks dude!

Ken
Ken