News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Neat Tool!

Started by DavePEI, August 31, 2015, 02:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

I know we all collect telephones and non-cellular phones as a rule, but we all use a cell phone, USB charged computers, etc. What happens when your power goes out, and you have mislaid your car charger?

Well, here is the solution, a Power Bank, a 50,000 milliamp/hour charger/power supply for your mobile device. This was purchased on Ebay two weeks ago for about $17 CDN, $13.50 US including shipping from a seller in China. It was received today.

It comes complete with a 4 way charge cable, which will charge Mini USB, Micro USB, Iphone 4 and Iphone 5 devices. and Nokia, iPhone, iPad, MP3, MP4, and other mobile phones, GPS units, and most laptop and Tablet chargers.

Specifications:

*Capacity: 50000mAh Li-Polymer
*Input Voltage: DC 5.0V
*Input Current: 1000mA (Max)
*Duo USB output, charge 2 devices simultaneously
*Output Voltage (Port A): 5.0V
*Output Current (Port A): 1000mA
*Output Voltage (Port B): 5.0V
*Output Current (Port B): 2100mA
*IC Protection for charging / overcharge / short circuit / discharge
*Circle Time:≥500 Times
*LED indication for Battery Status
*Size: 172x70x24 mm.390g

Charging of the power bank is accomplished using a USB to mini-USB cable. Two devices at a time can be charged with it, and 50,000 ma will give the capacity to recharge a number of devices.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/262000639872? ( dead link 02-09-22 )

While this particular one is no longer available, there are others with similar ratings, but do watch the ratings - there are many available which are only rated at a fraction of the ma/h rating of this one.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Quote from: DavePEI on August 31, 2015, 02:38:39 PM
I know we all collect telephones and non-cellular phones as a rule, but we all use a cell phone, USB charged computers, etc. What happens when your power goes out, and you have mislaid your car charger?

I connect to my home-made solar power station...  ;D

I got mine for free in a case of 28 Bud Light..... :) Mind you I had to pay for the beer.

Greg G.

I found one at a yard sale for cheap.  Haven't tried it yet, it was in a bag of other stuff Anita got for work at the same yard sale and she forgot to take it out.  I'm curious to see how well it works.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

DavePEI

Quote from: Autonut on August 31, 2015, 07:52:07 PM
I got mine for free in a case of 28 Bud Light..... :) Mind you I had to pay for the beer.
The disadvantage to the free Bud Light ones are they are only rated at 1500 to 1800 ma/h, only enough to half charge the average cell battery.... There were two types distributed by them, one a lipstick shaped one (1500 mah), and the type Doug showed (1800mah, I believe). Better than nothing, for sure.

Better yet, are the ones which have a solar charger, too, but they cost more than mine did.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

andre_janew

A half charged  battery is always better than a dead battery.  However, a fully charged battery is even better yet.

19and41

Nice idea, especially with the next power outage season coming.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

I just came across this video from "bigclivedotcom" on youtube and thought it seemed appropriate for this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsl-S0jWi0o

So, when seeing that quoted 50,000mAh, take it with a very large pinch of salt... ;D

I'll stick with my solar-charged, 14,000mAh (or 2x 7Ah) Sealed Lead acid battery bank... ;D

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on September 07, 2015, 02:36:11 PM
I just came across this video from "bigclivedotcom" on youtube and thought it seemed appropriate for this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsl-S0jWi0o

So, when seeing that quoted 50,000mAh, take it with a very large pinch of salt... ;D

I'll stick with my solar-charged, 14,000mAh (or 2x 7Ah) Sealed Lead acid battery bank... ;D
Well, I would also wonder about the accuracy of his little LED tester, too. I know I have already fully recharged my Blackberry three times using mine without recharging the power bank, and it looks as though it will at least half charge it again.

No doubt there is some fudging by manufacturers as to capacity, too, just as there was back in the early days of stereos (peak to peak vs. RMS, and per channel as opposed to both) insofar as power output was concerned.
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

It's the one thing that irks me about companies, fudged figures, when it's been proven to be fudged, they don't care, they just keep publishing (or increasing) the made-up numbers...

It's like they're taking lessons form politicians and their own figure-fudging techniques... ;D

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on September 08, 2015, 05:07:11 AM
It's the one thing that irks me about companies, fudged figures, when it's been proven to be fudged, they don't care, they just keep publishing (or increasing) the made-up numbers...

It's like they're taking lessons form politicians and their own figure-fudging techniques... ;D
Absolutely. And it has been going on since the Dark Ages. However, I do have reason to doubt the accuracy of that little flashlight device he is using to measure the mah capacity of the batteries. In the case of the one I bought, I have now fully charged my Blackberry battery with it four times, and it still has some charge left.

So that would put it in line with their claim of 50,000 mah. Of course, I didn't need to charge my Blackberry with it - I could have used my computer of corded charger, but I did want to test out the battery, and I am very pleased it will charge it that many times. Because as you mentioned, Company's claims are not always accurate!

Now, what remains to be seen, is how many charges it will take before it deteriorates, but that is another matter!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Well, the power bank he had could be different internally to yours, as most china made parts are often made in bulk, then sold to another factory where they assemble it with parts they got from various factories which may or may not have met the specs of the original device which is often something western-designed, then repeatedly copied (in the same manner as photocopying a photocopy) with the quality getting worse the further along you get down the chain, so his may have 1000mAh 18605 cells, and yours could have 5000mAh cells (still well below the claimed 50,000mAh figure), the consistency of chinese produce is about that of lumpy gravy, watery in places, lumpy in others, and some parts that are "just right"... ;D

As for testing, he does have an inline meter gadget (it appears a number of times in his videos, just wish he had tested this particular bank on-camera to see how he calculated it!!) that measures the amps and volts from the output of a USB socket, and taking numbers from that aswell as timing it from fully charged to discharged makes it easier to calculate the capacity, and his particular unit tested to be basically a fake, yes it has 18650 cells, but, not necessarily good ones, pretty poor ones to be honest...

19and41

There is one feature I like about Amazon.  The manufacturer can advertise specifications on a product, but you also have the benefit of being able to see how it actually performed for consumers and there are usually enough reviews to allow one to sort out the inevitable cranks from those who took the time to weigh the products value.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Sargeguy

I would get one of these but then I couldn't use the "Sorry I didn't call you back my cell phone was dead" excuse anymore.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

DavePEI

Quote from: Sargeguy on September 08, 2015, 04:45:02 PM
I would get one of these but then I couldn't use the "Sorry I didn't call you back my cell phone was dead" excuse anymore.
You could always use a wired phone :-) And this to charge a laptop, DVD player, MPEG player, etc.  :)
C*NET 1-651-0001