News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

McMurdoSilver - Master of "Telephones as an Art"

Started by Dan/Panther, June 25, 2009, 03:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

Frank uses lacquer to paint metal phones. Is that more resistant to nicks and scuffing?

Jorge

Dan/Panther

Is Frank this phone, or the McMurdosilver guy, That's a very rare Radio the McMurdosilver.
powder coating I didn't know was a lacquer base if that's what he uses. I'm confused as we have two shiny phone threads going and I'm not sure which one is Frank, I'm guessing Frank has the Non Redbar phone?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AE_Collector

Yeah, good guess D/P. Frank IS McMurdosilver which is NOT the redbar "shiny phone".

A few of us have jokingly refered to Frank (McMurdosilver) as "McShiny".

Is the name "McMurdosilver" a radio brand? Or maybe a model name? I have wondered a couple of times where the name Mcmurdosilver came from and/or what it means.

Terry

JorgeAmely

Jorge

McHeath

Wow!  Amazing, it's kinda unreal.  I like shiny phones and this one is in the running for the shiniest. 

How durable is powder coating?  I have only had experience with a few things coated, someone had all the closet doors in my house powder coated back in the early 90s' and they still look like new and are very shiny.  Also have some lawn chairs that are coated, and doing well also. 

It would seem the great problem with all the metal phones that are painted is the cradle area, sooner or later most of them start to show wear. 

Phonesrfun

McMurdosilver has done it again.  A beautifully restored phone on e-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/320591583767

-Bill G

KeithB

I love this quote from his auction page.  Just looking at his work, you know he's not boasting in the least:

Quote from: McMurdoSilverI really enjoy working on telephones & I spend many, many hours on each phone. I never take shortcuts or skip details to compromise the quality. I am a perfectionist.

JorgeAmely

I would pay dearly to watch Frank polish the old handset. I believe he is the #1 antique phone restorer in the USA. No corners cut whatsoever.
Jorge

finlover

And you guys say I have a time machine?  Frank is the BOSS!  I'm a rank amateur compared to that guy.  I don't think the rest of us have the patience or the eye to do what he does--he's an ispiration!

Doug Rose

Collectors....I certainly agree that Frank is a master at his craft and I could never even remotely come close to doing the work he has done. And yes, the selling price shows his work was not in vain. BUT...this is not how a phone is supposed to look. A phone is supposed to look like it was used. I try to display my phones in what I consider "like new condition." I have passed on many outstanding phones because they did not meet my strict criteria. But this, in my opinion, this totally over done. You make a call you leave finger prints. You open a box with a NOS phone in it, they do not look like this. This is art, but really not a phone. I would be scared to death to use it. Its like the Maserati I'll never have, where could I possibly drive it if it can only be parked in my garage.....Just my opinion....Doug
Kidphone

finlover

Cool--I'll just keep cranking out the Fords and Chevys then! ;D

Doug Rose

Quote from: finlover on September 26, 2010, 07:29:43 PM
Cool--I'll just keep cranking out the Fords and Chevys then! ;D
Greg....I don't think yours are over done, they DO Look like you just opened a NOS box. There is a huge difference. Like you said in  another thread, "you have to know when to stop sanding." I think the same goes to polishing. A person has to know when to stop. You can have the best steak in the world, if you over cook it, its leather or.... over done. Yes...I just cooked a perfect T-Bone on the grill tonight! Do you leave a finger prints on your phones when you pick them up? I don't on mine. I think they look "real." Again, just my humble opinion....Doug
Kidphone

bingster

I've always been on the fence about his phones.  On the one hand, these particular phones aren't supposed to look like that, and they never did, even when new.  On the other hand, his work elevates them above the utilitarian telephone stage into something approaching art, and in that light they're phenomenally beautiful.

I don't know what I'd do with one if I had it, though.  Probably leave it in a box wrapped in tissue paper for protection.  I'd certainly never use it.  I'd be too terrified of nicking the paint.

I've never had the least problem with finlover's phones (or Jorge's or Dennis'), because plastic phones were very shiny out of the box.  It's only through use that they've grown dull and faded, and returning them to their original shiny state is restoring what was, rather than creating something that wasn't.

He could make a fair amount of money if he started a handset polishing service for other collectors.
= DARRIN =

HarrySmith

I agree again. These phones are absolutely gorgeous! I would not buy one even if I could afford it! These are not everyday appliances, these are works of art. It should be displayed behind glass and never touched, much like my wife's Lladro pieces, admired for the beauty. I also agree about polishing bakelite, I asked him once how he did that and I got referred to his "ME" page on Ebay which told me nothing, guess it is his secret process!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Kenny C

the phone looks wet to me. Its pretty and all but it looks too new
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010