News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

W.E. 500 riveted leather feet.

Started by Dan/Panther, June 18, 2009, 03:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Is there any way to remove the rivets from the leather feet of the 500's without destroying the rivet?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

foots

We deal with similar rivets at work on a daily basis, only they're a bit larger than the ones used in phones. They appear to be  buck rivets and the only way to remove them is to drill the small end just enough to remove the flared out area. New rivets should be easy to install.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivets 
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dennis Markham

If you need some rivets Dennis Hallworth sells them.  He will also replace the leather pads on your 500 sets.  I recently sent him two 500 bases and he recovered the feet for me.  His prices are reasonable.  He also just sells the rivets if you can't find any locally.  Here is a link to a previous posting about him recovering the pads.  Scroll down for his address and e-mail address.  He does great work.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=241.msg3174#msg3174

foots

Not to jack Dan/Panther's thread, but, since W.E. 500 feet are being discussed, is there any replacements for the triangular rubber ones? I have a couple phones that could use some new shoes.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dennis Markham

Josh, I don't know where you can buy those but I do know a guy that had some.  He sent me a few three years ago.  I just e-mailed him to see if he had any left and if so would he be willing to sell some.  I'll keep you posted.

Greg G.

One of the phones I recently acquired is a 4-54 500, refurbed in 70 or 71 judging from the dates on the plastics.  The bottom is in sad shape, but the phone fully functions, so where there's functionality, there's hope. 

I've read the posts here and also in this thread:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=241.msg3174#msg3174.  Has anybody actually drilled out the riveted feet and riveted them back on?  If so, I need to know what tools you used for drilling them out and riveting them back on.  If the tools can be readily found, fine, if not, I was just going to put 302 feet on it.  Here's a pic of the bottom:
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

Dennis Hallworth does the 500 riveted footpads.  I have had him do a couple of my 500's in the past.  You have to send him the chassis and he will recover the pads.  The new rivets look exactly like the originals.

~The other Dennis

dencins

Old rivets usually can not be salvaged due to corrosion and the rolled crimp.  I use a 9/64" bit to drill out old rivets.

The tool I have found most useful for this size rivet is a brake lining rivet tool.

Unlike the 302 rivet type foot pads that do not have a cushion, the 500 rivet type uses a felt cushion with a hole that allows the rivet to seat.   

Dennis Hallworth

Greg G.

Quote from: dencins on June 19, 2014, 01:18:56 AM
Old rivets usually can not be salvaged due to corrosion and the rolled crimp.  I use a 9/64" bit to drill out old rivets.

The tool I have found most useful for this size rivet is a brake lining rivet tool.

Unlike the 302 rivet type foot pads that do not have a cushion, the 500 rivet type uses a felt cushion with a hole that allows the rivet to seat.   

Dennis Hallworth

That rivet tool, is it like this one?
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/RapcoBrake.php

I was thinking of just drilling them out and putting screwed-on 302 feet on it, at least for now.  I'm wondering if down the road that the screwed on feet could be removed should I or somebody else want original style riveted feet on it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

dencins

Similar but I use the one that crimps with a hammer.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/lining_tool.php

The screw will work but the 302 footpad alignment bumps will not line up with the holes in the 500 base plate so if you put them on they will sit at an angle.

Dennis Hallworth

paul-f

Quote from: dencins on June 19, 2014, 03:53:01 PM

The screw will work but the 302 footpad alignment bumps will not line up with the holes in the 500 base plate so if you put them on they will sit at an angle.

...unless you drill a hole in the base plate to match the bump position or make some other "adjustment."

(While working in a machine shop during college, I learned just about anything can be made to fit, given the right tools and a bit of creativity.  They were big on "field modifications.")
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

dencins

I would suggest the "other "adjustment"" of flattening the bumps on the 302 footpads rather than drilling the 500 base plate especially if you have any thought of changing the 500 back to riveted footpads.

Clarification why I use the hammer type rivet tool -

Most aircraft brake linings use brass rivets and the force needed to get a good roll crimp is much less than the 302 and 500 footpads which use stainless steel rivets.

Dennis Hallworth

mentalstampede

Quote from: dencins on June 19, 2014, 08:19:47 PM

Most aircraft brake linings use brass rivets and the force needed to get a good roll crimp is much less than the 302 and 500 footpads which use stainless steel rivets.

That's the truth. Brass rivets don't take much force. I've riveted quite a few aircraft brake linings.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein