"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 302 Rings but no dial tone - RESOLVED

Started by JimNY, September 14, 2014, 09:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNY

Hi Folks,
I've been combing this forum for info that would be helpful getting my 1947 WE 302 working again. I found this phone in my fathers garage completely in tact but covered in about 40 years of dirt and grime. Aside from time cleaning and polishing, I've replaced the line chord and the handset chord.  When connected the phone rings nicely, but when the I go off hook it goes completely dead. It also 'kills' the other extension in the house. I've followed all the tips from this post:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11091.msg118687#msg118687 

But I haven't been able to pinpoint any trouble. I suspect a handset issue since I was not able to get dialtone when I connected the handset directly to the service line (completely dead). However the continuity and resistance readings seem to be ok through all elements of the handset.

I've attached a few pics of the network and dial wiring.

Looking forward to any suggestions you can give

Jim

tallguy58

Is that big condenser necessary?

Looks like you have one mounted below it.

Check out this thread:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5418.0

Click on the H-mounts pdf link.

When in doubt, disconnect everything and start over using this diagram.

Good luck
Cheers........Bill

Kenton K

Quote from: tallguy58 on September 14, 2014, 12:01:59 PM
Is that big condenser necessary?

Looks like you have one mounted below it.

Check out this thread:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5418.0

Click on the H-mounts pdf link.

When in doubt, disconnect everything and start over using this diagram.

Good luck

Yes, that is a condenser. I believe it was used to convert an H5 to an H1 by replacing the tube with a equivalent condenser. It was wired like normal, but the ringer condenser came from the large metal tube above the original condenser.

-Ken

unbeldi

Yes, your set was originally a set, probably a 306, with an electron tube for party-line service. Since the 306 natively only has a single capacitor, a ringing capacitor had to be added when the tube was removed.
You have a B3A ringer which has a low impedance (2 x 1000 ohm) and therefore they added a 1 microfarad condenser, a little larger than the normal 1/2 MF.

First step is to verify all wiring internally that connects with the hookswitch. Does it short the line?

JimNY

Hi Folks,
I thought I'd reply to let you know that I resolved the problem. After carefully verifying the wiring I tested each of the components (handset,network,dial) and discovered that I definitely had a problem in the dial assembly. Once I figured that out the cause was very easy to find. The small cam that opens and closes the contacts during dialing was stuck out of position (you can see it in the picture above) and therefore kept the contacts closed. Once I repositioned the cam and put it all back together the phone worked perfectly. It was fun to watch my 10yr old son try to figure out how it worked!!  Thanks for the responses and suggestions.