"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Apartment Phone Help

Started by WesternElectricBen, October 06, 2014, 05:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hello,

For a while I've been trying to get my manual Western Electric "apartment phone" (533A) to work. I've looked at wiring diagrams, but I have still been confused. First of all, is their something I may need to add (like a capacitor) for this to ring? Also, I will need to add a line cord, and I'm not sure where to hook that up to. When I put leads on to random screws, sometimes the ringer will move the clapper to the next bell, but never ring the phone.

Thank you,
Ben 

Kenton K

It should be just like any other we phone. L1 L2 are there. One will be on the coil and the other one on the terminal block.

poplar1

Green wire (from the front of phone) needs to be moved from L2-Y to GN on the induction coil.
Line connects to L1 and L2-Y.
(L2-Y is the terminal next to GND)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Thank you,

Right now, when I tap the switch hook, it pulses. Although, it does not ring nor can I hear. Although, I suspect the cloth cord is to blame.

Ben

Edit: the cloth cord is in fact broken, although I don't think that would affect ringing.

poplar1

Capacitor connects (red) to C  and  (yellow) to L2-Y. The same capacitor is used for ringing circuit and talking circuit.
Ringer connects (red) to L1 and (black) to C.

The harness from the front is the same as a 3-conductor cord from a 20-AL or 102: red to R, green to GN and yellow to Y-L2.

See Figure 3:
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/4642-c42-501-i1-jan34-subscribersets333-533and553typessidetone-connections
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Okay, I think the ringer may be bad, as I have it wired like the diagram. Maybe I can try a known good 302 ringer?

Ben

Kenton K

If your ringer goes "ding", it shouldn't be bad.

Ken.

WesternElectricBen

That is true.. And I tested it, the ringer is fine.

Any thoughts?

Ben

Kenton K

Are there any other phones on the line when you test it? And the phone is on hook too right?

KK

WesternElectricBen

I'm using my analyzer for testing and I am holding down the hook.

I'm going to give the wiring a second check. Could the condenser be to blame? Is there a bias spring to adjust?

Ben

Kenton K

Do you have a spare 302 capacitor? if you do, try placing the red lead to C. Then hook up the line to L1 and the black on the capacitor.

WesternElectricBen

Tried and failed. Although, I didn't know what do do with the yellow lead, so I left it in the existing 302 switchook. I cannot see a third wire on the existing capacitor, so I'm guessing it would be unused?

Ben

Kenton K

In the 302 capacitor, the slate and yellow wires are .5 mf, and the red and black are 2 mf. I believe the old ringer you have uses a 2mf capacitor. I'm trying to substitute the 302 capacitor for the original apartment phone capacitor.

Do you have a spare magneto? You could connect the magneto directly to the ringer and see if anything happens. Im not sure if it is safe to hook up the ringer directly to the analyzer though.

kk

WesternElectricBen

Right, I understand exactly what you are saying.

I hooked the bells up to the magneto, cranked it, and they rang.

I know once Doug mentioned these can sometimes just "not work." Maybe he can elaborate?

I appreciate your help!
Ben

Kenton K

Now if you hook up everything again in the telephone (ringer to L1 and C), and hook of the magneto to L1 and L2, does it ring now? And make sure the capacitor leads are from C to L2.

K