News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial won't seize line

Started by Jack Aman, January 09, 2015, 09:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Aman

Hey everybody...what troubleshooting steps should I take to figure out why a WE 202 that has been working perfectly suddenly won't break dial tone when dialed?  Everything else works perfectly.  Thanks for any help!

unbeldi

What kind of telephone service is the phone connected to?

VoIP providers are known to upgrade their ATAs with software that doesn't support dial pulse anymore.
If you can exclude that, can you break dial tone by tapping the switch hook once rapidly?

Jack Aman

I use an Xlink to Bluetooth calls out over my cell phone.  Works great with pulse dial.   My other three phones (another 202 and two 302's) are dialing perfectly as always.  One rapid tap on the switch hook on the problem phone does break dial tone.

Thanks for your help.

unbeldi

ok. Progress.  Xlink usually works pretty well.

Does the dial function when you leave a finger in the finger hole after the first digit and slightly help it move back, rather than let it return on its own?

This usually works on dials that are just a teeny bit too slow.

If it does, has the temperature in the room changed much recently?  Cooler?  Old grease can freeze up in colder temps.

Jack Aman

No difference...actually the dial on the problem phone as far as it's mechanical function goes is the best of the four...nice smooth rapid return.   It dialed out yesterday.   I did pick it up today and turn it upside down briefly to dust under it, but no drop or anything.

dsk

2 things I would test:

1) May the capacitor in series with the receiver has started to leak DC? 
2) The X-Link are adjustable to accept pretty slow and fast dial under the advanced setup.  You may play a little with those timing setups.

dsk

Jack Aman

Back to Unbeldi's suggestion:  It took some fiddling, but if I "help" the dial return with my finger, it DOES break tone and dial out.  Ha!    What next?   Thanks everyone for interest and help.

unbeldi

Ok. The dial needs adjusting. Most of the time, this can be helped simply by cleaning.  I assume it is a 4H or 5H dial? Radio Shack sells an electronic circuit cleaner in a spray can which I have used successfully on dials. Simply insert the nozzle into the dial housing and spray. If it's a No 6 dial, you have to remove it to open the plastic cover around the mechanism.
The spray doesn't leave a trace when evaporated.
Alternately, I have cleaned dials in the ultrasonic cleaner with only the finger wheel, dial plate, and dust barrier removed.

dsk

This parameter setting should make the it work:

More parameters here: http://tinyurl.com/qg372a6
dsk

unbeldi

Quote from: dsk on January 10, 2015, 10:13:45 AM
This parameter setting should make the it work:

dsk
these are very tight parameters.  To have a flash period of only 90-130 ms makes it almost impossible for a human to reliably signal flash.  Most technical references specify flash time to be 300 to 2000 ms.

dsk

Doesent harm to try it out.

dsk

poplar1

We used 700 ms. for flash and 2 seconds (2000 ms) for positive disconnect. The old Comdial key systems had a default flash time that had to be reprogrammed in order to access Centrex features requiring flash, such as call transfer and call waiting. Otherwise, the call would be disconnected.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on January 10, 2015, 11:59:00 AM
We used 700 ms. for flash and 2 seconds (2000 ms) for positive disconnect. The old Comdial key systems had a default flash time that had to be reprogrammed in order to access Centrex features requiring flash, such as call transfer and call waiting. Otherwise, the call would be disconnected.

Yes, that sounds correct and reasonable.  I have not come across a system, IIRC, that even recognizes anything much below 300 ms as a flash.  The typical latency of hook switch mechanics almost prohibits shorter interruptions and some telephones, especially in Europe, implemented by design (air buffers) delays to prevent switch hook dialing.

poplar1

My brother and I quickly found out we could call out using the hookswitch on our very first phones, Leich 90 sets purchased "as is" (read: defective dials and harmonic ringers) from Surplus Center. Of course, the Step-by-step dial equipment was very tolerant.

In Montréal, the early Centurion coin phones with dial tone first shorted the dial pulsing contacts until a coin deposit was made. One could dial with the hookswitch without depositing coins. Later, they added a mercury switch that made dialing with the hookswitch impossible.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

dsk

European R button are typical flash of 90 mS.

dsk