News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally finished moving.

Started by Steve, August 05, 2009, 04:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

And I dont know if I'm blessed or cursed.

every jack in the new place is a 4 prong outlet :)
but I need to filter them as I have DSL. I need to run a new line for the DSL (unfiltered) but, I want to filter the lines that are already in place ( 4 prong)

is their a DSL filter I can use at the demarc. for all the jacks already in place?
heres a picture for reference.

Thanks!

If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

bingster

Good Lord.  Is that wired to Bell System Practices??? :o ;D
= DARRIN =

HobieSport

Hey Steve,

I was just wondering a day or so ago why you hadn't posted for awhile. I didn't know you had moved.

That's neat that you have all the old style four prong outlets.

As for the DSL and filters, that's way beyond me, but have you asked your phone company?
-Matt

Steve

AT&T has been very un helpful so far. we had line problems that had to be fixed, it took 10 hours on the phone ( no exaggeration) just to get them to send a repairman to fix the problem.

in IL. every demarc is a Grey network box. I tried unsuccessfully to get them to install one. I wouldnt mind installing one myself to ease running new line, etc.

I dont know if I want to go with a PBX , as they are expensive. I seem to remember a demarc called a partners box? from a few years ago. that may be an option too.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

JorgeAmely

Steve:

I once got from ebay a gadget that separates DSL from POTS. In that way, you can feed the POTS ring and tip to all your phones and route DSL to only one jack where your modem-router-PCs are connected.

Jorge

bwanna

steve
whole house filters(to be used at dmarc) are available from AT&T. they will probably charge you to install, unless you get a sympathetic repairman.  i do believe they are also available from radio shack or the likes.  PM me if you can't locate one. i can instruct on the install of one as well.
donna
donna

bwanna

me again, just took a look at your pic. is there an actual demarc(with access to customer wiring) outside the building? i'm guessing that is the service drop run to this terminal block? can you identify your pair? is there a pre-wire box in your apt? will you be running a new home run for your dsl? i'm sure i can walk you thru your wiring dilemma.

Quote from: bingster on August 05, 2009, 04:30:14 PM
Good Lord.  Is that wired to Bell System Practices??? :o ;D

bingster, this is actually a pretty tidy example of apt building wiring. some are real nightmares. :o
donna