News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

No dial light on WE 701B Princess with E1A ringer

Started by RotoTech99, November 08, 2015, 12:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

I have a WE 701B with a E1A ringer connected to it with a 6 wire interconnect cord, and a spade to modular 7' for connection to the line. The blue black and yellow wires are connected to the dial lamp terminal board with black and blue going to "4", and yellow to "3". The other leads go to their respective terminals.

The spade to modular cord is connected  green to 6, red to 5, yellow to 2, and the black unused; in the E1A ringer. The blue and black interconnect cord leads in the ringer are connected to 4, an d the yellow one on 2. The white interconnect lead is on 3.

I am suspecting the black, blue and yellow leads are no good as I get normal functions except for the dial light.

I thought of switching the interconnect cord for a 4 wire interconnect  cord, but am a bit unsure about doing it. I thought of putting the black and yellow wires from m the new interconnect cord where the old black, blue and yellow wires go, and connect the black and yellow leads to those from the line cord.

I of course would test the new cord to be sure it will work o.k.

in the meantime, please give me some advice, instruction and tips on how I could resolve this.

Thank you.

Jim Stettler

The princess  used a transformer for lamp power. It connects to the blue and white wires of  the 6 conductor. I can't recall the voltage.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

G-Man

Is your dial-light transformer connected to the line cord per the instructions posted in the TCI Library? If so, then check the lamp to make sure it isn't burnt-out. Also, did it work before?

RotoTech99

Dear Gman: I do have it wired according to the schematic, and my bulb good as well as my transformer. I also tried different bulbs I knew to be good with the same result. I just received this phone, and am waiting on a little background info. as whom I received it from may have run into the same issue.

I am getting more certain the leads I think to be faulty that I mentioned are the culprit in this instance.

One other trick I thought of trying was temporarily disconncet the interconnect cable and try a four wire line cord with the black and yellow wires on the dial lamp terminals, then connect it to my dial light transformer adapter in my phone jack; if i get a lit dial lamp, then i will know the interconnect leads I mentioned is most likely the trouble source.

G-Man

Was it working before?

Also, check that the switch is not inadvertently positioned in between the two settings.

G-Man

As you have already outlined, substituting another pair of wires that are connected directly to the output of the transformer and terminals 3 and 4 inside of the set will help determine if the trouble is with the conductors inside of the line cord.
Once more, verify the transformer is connected to terminals 2 and 4 within the E1-ringer, along with yellow, black and blue, on the other end of the line cord, connected to 3 and 4 within the set.

RotoTech99

Dear Gman: I have verfied the connections, the blue and black wires are where they should be in both the phone and ringer.

G-Man

Ok, you have verified that the wires inside of set are properly terminated, but check that the wires from the transformer are connected to terminals 2 and 4, along with the yellow, black and blue conductors of the linecord. If so, then try your idea of bypassing any faulty conductors in the linecord.

G-Man

Also, it is highly unlikely that all three conductors would go bad. If by chance the yellow conductor is bad, disconnect the black conductor (leave the blue in place) and substitute it for the yellow conductor at the transformer and telephone set ends. Once more, make sure the transformer is connected to the proper terminals on the E1-ringer.

G-Man

The diagram below shows the correct connections for the dial-light transformer.

RotoTech99

Dear GMan:

I found my problem...I had the dial light transformer set up to use with a spade to modular cord and adapter. I removed the plug from the end and added spade lugs to that end and connected it where the light transformer leads go inside the ringer. I made a four wire interconnect cord 7' long and connected its black and yellow wires to the dial lamp terminals, and then to the dial light leads inside the ringer.

That resolved the problem; all i need to do now is put strain reliefs on the dial light transformer cord, and on the interconnect cord... I have the jayhook for where it enters the phone, but will have to look for the other strain reliefs.

RotoTech99

Dear G-Man:

Sorry the misspells on your CRPF moniker.. I was using my Iphone to send replies, and it's not the easiest thing to do.

I have my white Princess set up now, and it is doing what it is supposed to; all of my cords are 7' long (the line cord, interconnect cord, and transformer cord). I also got strain reliefs in place on each.

The last thing I have planned is adding the base weight, however I don't have the insulator to go under it... Can you please suggest what I could use if I cannot find a insulator? I know what it looks like and its size should I need to make one.

Please let me know, and Thanks.