"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

634 Subset follies

Started by WesternElectricBen, December 16, 2015, 10:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hi all,

I am hooking up a F1 mount with a 634 subset, and I have gotten the set to work besides ringing. The diagram I am using shows 4 wires coming from the condenser, rather than two that are coming out of mine. Additionally, it has a 55B ind. Do I need a 4 wire condenser in order for this to work?

Thank you,
Ben

Phonesrfun

Looks like a sidetone set. 

I am not very familiar with the 55B, but with 4 terminals, it looks like a 2-winding induction coil.  Sidetone subsets typically had a single condenser.  Check the wiring of a 534A. 

*Update*  The 55B appears to be similar to the type 46 induction coil found in sidetone subsets.  I searched the TCI library and it mentions the 155B coil as being a 55B with an antisidetone winding.  It goes on to say that the 155B is the equivalent to a 146 coil.  Therefore, I am assuming the 55B is the same as a 46.

Regardless, it is the kind of a subset that the common single capacitor served two purposes.  One as the ringer cap when the phone was hung up, and as a talk capacitor when the phone was off hook.
-Bill G

G-Man

If we knew what type of 634 subset you have we could offer a more definitive answer.

You should include the complete model number that includes the letter suffix since there were a number of different flavors of 634's.

Also, please refresh our memories as to what an "F1" mount is. I don't ever recall seeing that type, but perhaps my memory is faulty. 

The 55B induction coil is a sidetone type.

G-Man

Here is the info for a 55B induction coil.

G-Man

Either you misread the number or it is mismarked, but it is not one of the Western Electric 634-series of (A, AR, BA, BB E, F, G, H, YD etc.) subscriber sets. 
Still curious as to what an F1-mount is.

See if this diagram follows what you do have.

G-Man

If you change the ringer lead from "L2Y" back to "C" and are still experiencing problems, check to make sure that the ringer armature moves freely when moved manually with your fingers.

WesternElectricBen

I must admit I am at fault here; It's actually a G1 mount (manual space saver), and there is no numbers on the subset (I had only assumed).

When I connected the left side (biased?) of the ringer there is a small vibration when I "ring it." I am wondering if not enough voltage is being supplied to it, or if I need to adjust the ringer.

Ben

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

G-Man

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 17, 2015, 12:12:00 PM
Photo of the ringer?
My thoughts as well Bill!

From what little I can see of the ringer makes me think that it is likely the armature's air-gap adjusting nut and screw needs to be loosened to allow the armature to fully travel. Especially if it were originally designed for pulsating or superimposed ringing.

The bias spring may then need to be re-adjusted as well if bell tinkle is observed.

andre_janew

I remember someone having trouble with a ringer recently.  It turned out there was some crud preventing the armature from moving like it should.  Check for that sort of thing as well.