News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Weird Dialing Interference

Started by rp2813, October 24, 2009, 06:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwanna

ralph, is the protector in the attic?  before going to all that hassle, check the line cord. then look in the nwi(if you have one) or at protector, lift iw for adl pr if connected. if that doesn't clear trouble, go to the jacks. :)
donna

McHeath

Quotethen look in the nwi(if you have one) or at protector, lift iw for adl pr if connected.

Uh... yeah... sure... see, uh, I was gonna suggest that as well... yeah... really I was! :)

Dennis Markham

Dan/Panther

Yeah McHeath Me too that was what I meant by reverse the wires at the line cord.............No !, No ! Really it was, Honest....
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bwanna

sorry, heath....once i realized ralph understood attspeak, i couldn't help myself. ;)    i just hope we clear his trouble. :)

dennis good thing i heeded the warning& read your post before i continued. i was about to show some more of my telco lingo ;)
donna

rp2813

Donna, I don't know if I want to mess around at the SNI/protector.  That's in the basement, and I remember when the ADL went in, it took over all of the IW in the house except for the room where it was supposed to work.  I did fix that myself, though, at the SNI.  The attic is a walk-in here and I can get to the back of the wall plate fairly easily in there, so will try that first.  IW is a mess here, what with my dad's and even my own bootlegging back in the 60's and 70's.  Some of the active IW is still a cloth covered braided pair, I presume from the first phone ever installed here some 80 years ago.
Ralph

rp2813

Now that I'm thinking about it, the ADL pair may already be pulled at the SNI.  I had to mess with it all those years ago to get this room back onto the MNL (primary line), so I'll go back and check what I did. 

So hey Donna, do they still put in DAMLs out there?  I never knew how those worked but would sure try to get them installed when scrounging for facilities in the late 90's.  They basically split one line into two but could only be used for POTs if I recall correctly. 
Ralph

Dan/Panther

Bwanna, rp2813;
Speak English Man ! ;) ;)
Could you translate the ADL, DAML, and the BS. :o
D/P ;D

bwanna

ralph, even if disconnected at sni, if connected in the jack could still be causing your trouble. did you check that line cord yet?

damals are not used anymore. there is a unit called pair gain plus. i haven't been an installer for a few years now, so don't know how often they are used. haven't run into any on repair calls. occasionally find a damal. with the decline of subscriber lines, there really is not a shortage of facilities anymore. did you work in mlac?

d/p -  a damal is a mini pair gain unit that would allow one cable pair to be used to provide 2 pots lines. back when everyone was  getting 2nd & 3rd lines, telco sometimes would not have enough cable pairs to accommodate everyone. in that instance a damal would be installed.

bs...i thought you invented that one :P
donna

rp2813

OK D/P, no more telco lingo.  Did we come across like a 1990 Wang ad?

SNI = Standard Network Interface (or something close to that) and some of them say so on their cover.  That is the MPOE (Minimum Point of Entry) where the telco's wiring stops and your inside wiring (IW) begins.  MLAC = Mechanized Line Assignment Center (or something close to that).  I never worked there but certainly sweet talked the people who did, and ultimately ended up with a friend becoming a FACS (facilities) Administrator there.  She sure helped me to be a hero to some demanding Silicon Valley clients during a period of serious facilities shortages by forcing though her manual assignments.  Back then I was implementing the appropriate systems for business customer orders and requesting a lot of T1's (an AT&T--the real AT&T-- term that is still widely used referring to a trunk line) which we at Pac Bell called HiCap service.  That was a fairly easy job but a burn-out job, as the demands just never stopped.  I'd be working until Midnight holding a customer's hand during a cutover from one prem to another.  I remember our president speaking to us at an event and asking us to repeat after him:  "I'm sorry!" "I'm sorry!" "I'm sorry!"  Due to the epic proportions the facilities shortage had reached.

I'm not surprised to hear that DAMLs are few and far between these days.  I figured as much.

Circling back to the original issue, I'll check the modular cording first.  That's the only component that has changed as a result of  the office move.
Ralph

Dan/Panther

Quote from: bwanna on October 27, 2009, 07:19:58 AM
ADL= acronym stands for additional line. :)   ATT uses so many acronyms that reading our trouble tickets & orders is like reading a foreign language. also abbreviations in which most vwls r drppd ::)

ralph, adl or not, the 2nd pr more than likely would be connected in the jack. not out of the realm of possibility to still be connected to F2 pair.

d/p... i thought you enjoyed my phone company ramblings ;)

I love them, I just need a translator...
D/P

rp2813

OK, I checked the modular cord, I had a real long one that was perfect for the situation, but it was a 4-conductor.  I have replaced all modular cording in the office with 2-conductor segments.  The radio noise is slightly lower in volume but not gone. 

So now should I disconnect the spare pair at the jack?
Ralph

Phonesrfun

That's what I would do at this point, yes.
-Bill G

bwanna

ralph, yes. first at the protector/nwi, if you can get to it. then at every jack if you have too.  if that doesn't work i'm at loss with out being able to see all of your iw. i can check around for one of those radio suppressors that i mentioned earlier. :)
donna

rp2813

OK, I'll take a look a the SNI.  That would be the easiest way to eliminate the problem.  I still find it weird that this only happened when I switched from one room to another.  I'm also going to check a hokey connection in the basement that has been acting up lately.  I'll advise on results.  Depending on how far I get prepping for hosting a Halloween party tomorrow night, I may not revisit this until after the weekend.  As I said above, the situation is slightly improved and I could probably live with it the way it is now since it doesn't interfere with conversations, but my first choice is to resolve it if it's within my capabilities.

Thanks for all the guidance thus far.

Ralph
Ralph