News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

OLD soft plastic AE80 doessn't ring still

Started by Dan, November 07, 2009, 08:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Hello, I bought an old AE80, red soft plastic 1958 . Had no ringer. I bought a SL .4 MF straight ringer. I copied the wiring off a similar phone. Still no ringing. The ringer has the standard 4 wires, black, white, red, and green. On the network (the right side as you look @ the dial from the front), I have placed the wires in the following positions:

Red @ position 9   (second from the far right)

Black @ position 15 (second from far left)

green @ position 6  (fourth from left)

white @ positon 16 (third from left)

I arrived @ these positions from coying off another AE80 (a frequency ringer AE80) that I had from the same era. I have the little schematic that comes off the underside of the houring.

Here are some pics . The ringer moves freely with your hand. If I need to move wire positions, please help. I could even move the ringer to a WE500 to test it, if someone could tell me where the 4 wires go on that network.

Thanks in advance. I love this phone. It works well otherwise. ;D

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

JorgeAmely

Dan:

Check out this picture. Green and yellow are connected together in the 4 prong plug. If for some reason you can't joint these together in the plug, just use a short piece of wire to do the same at the network.
Jorge

Dan

So you are saying to place a little jumper wire from position 8 to position 9 on the network (green to yellow from my where the wall cord hooks up) and this will work?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

stub

Dan , What's the number of that network? AE used 4 or 5  different ones for this phone. I guess you checked this ringer 1st, right?
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Dan,  On mine I just moved 9 red to 8 , discard the yellow ,and if the rest is right it will ring also, both work.   To jump or not is at your discretion.
Kenneth Stubblefield

Dan

I did it both Jorges way and stubs way. It rings both ways. Thanks!!!!