News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

W.E. Dial Identification

Started by BOB BONCHAK, October 12, 2008, 11:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-f

Of course, we're looking at the dials seventy years after they were made.

What are the chances that the fingerstops were replaced at least once when the dials were refurbished?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

deedubya3800

Quote from: paul-f on May 31, 2011, 07:16:07 PM
Of course, we're looking at the dials seventy years after they were made.

What are the chances that the fingerstops were replaced at least once when the dials were refurbished?
That's what I'm taking into account. The near consistency makes me think they probably were consistent when new, but a few had to be repaired and replaced along the way, causing some switcheroo now and then.

HowardPgh

My Personal observation:
#2A have a W stamped in the spot where R is on a later dial. Outside fingerstop.
#2H has the W terminal up by the governer.
#4H has the W terminal up by the governer and the inside fingerstop.(I think this was to accomodate the recessed dial design of the D1 mount)
#5H hasthe W terminal on the terminal strip side of the dial and it has double contacts on its springs as opposed to the single contacts on 2 and 4.
Of course in the over 80+ years of the dial, I'm sure ther are many exceptions and variations.
Howard

Charles

I have a "6Q" dial in my WE 302. Has anyone ever heard of these?
It looks like it is dated 1975.

Apparently it wires up differently from earlier #6 dials

Charles

I just learned that this is the equivalent of the WE 6U dial (made by Northern Electric).
Mystery solved.
Thanks

extremecinema

I just received a farm fresh B1 with with an F1 headset (with parts circa 1952), an N19 filter, and a 4H dial (converted from a 2HA or B.

Can anybody outline the steps to remove the screw hole plugs?

cloyd

I remember, when I was a little kid, I was watching a superman rerun where he spying on the bad guys who made a phone call.  While staying hidden, he listened to the clickety-clack of the dial and figured out the phone number that was dialed.  Why would I remember that unless I was born to be a classic rotary phone fan?  Anyone happen to know the episode or the phone used?  Just curious.
cloyd
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

Babybearjs

Greg, the pictures you posted didn't come through... please try reposting them.
John

Phonesrfun

Maybe because the links to the pictures are 7+ years old.

-Bill G

Babybearjs

John

shadow67

Thought I would show a dial I have acquired. The finger stop reads 2AB but the faceplate has only numbers and no letters. Also the dial plate has a notch where an internally mounted finger stop would go. I think at some point the plate has been replaced. Any comments on dates or what this may have come off of?

poplar1

Since it is "brassed out" (black paint removed), I'm guessing it was on a candlestick phone that had been made into a lamp, or at least a phone that had been stripped.

2AB dial originally would have been furnished with a notchless 132-B number plate with letters and numbers.

2AB dials were used on desk stands (candlesticks), wall phones (1553-A) and possibly on pay phones.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

The dial plate may have a date on the back.  The plate was made in the early 1930s.  The dial is from the 1920s most likely.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

shadow67

Thanks for that insight. That is good information.