News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

D1 Mount Base Plate Screw Hole Issue - no threads

Started by Lewes2, December 08, 2018, 08:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lewes2

Several years I purchased a D1 zinc mount but after receiving it, I noticed that one of the screw holes for the screws that holds the base plate had no threads. The hole is larger, looking like the thread sleeve fell out.  (The gentleman from whom I purchased the mount made good and told me to keep the mount.)

So one solution is to use a larger screw and tap the remaining metal in the hole. What seems to fit is a 1/4 screw but the head is LARGE and really appears funny.  This solution works and will look OK until someone turns the phone over.

Looking for other ideas. like filling the screw hole with a liquid steel adhesive and retap to the original size.  What size is that screw?

Any other ideas?

See photos.

Thanks again!

rdelius

I have enlarged the holes and installed threaded brass inserts. In a pinch. I stuffed a wire clipping in the hole and screwed in the screw

Butch Harlow

I would consider good old JB Weld. It is a steel reinforced epoxy 2 part adhesive. It's already metallic gray in color and can be tapped easily.
Butch Harlow

Ktownphoneco

Lewes ....   Here's a a "pdf" file with pictures on how I repair the exact problem your having with your D1 / 202 base.      Yes, it's involved, but you'll never have another problem with the post after it's repaired.     The document is in the TCI Library as well.

Jeff Lamb

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Butch Harlow on December 08, 2018, 08:52:27 PM
I would consider good old JB Weld. It is a steel reinforced epoxy 2 part adhesive. It's already metallic gray in color and can be tapped easily.
I agree with Butch.
JIM S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

Yes, I second what Butch wrote, but for future purposes, what tap does he need to retap the repair...
KEN

TelePlay

Quote from: Key2871 on December 09, 2018, 11:58:42 AM
Yes, I second what Butch wrote, but for future purposes, what tap does he need to retap the repair...

Regular Member Post

From Page 8 of Ktownphoneco's pdf attached in his reply above, a document worth reading for it has techniques that can be used for a variety of purposes or needs, not just this base fix.

Butch Harlow

Quote from: TelePlay on December 09, 2018, 02:21:36 PM
     Regular Member Post

From Page 8 of Ktownphoneco's pdf attached in his reply above, a document worth reading for it has techniques that can be used for a variety of purposes or needs, not just this base fix.

Yes I read that last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it, but I developed a nasty case of tool envy, and I have a lot of cool tools. I think a mini lathe just made my wish list.
Butch Harlow

Key2871

Thanks John, please keep in mind that I only joined a few months ago, and still haven't had time to review every post.
I just thought it would be nice for another newbie that happens by with the same proving, and could find out quickly how to repair and tap it out..
KEN

TelePlay

Quote from: Key2871 on December 09, 2018, 03:36:40 PM
Thanks John, please keep in mind that I only joined a few months ago, and still haven't had time to review every post.
I just thought it would be nice for another newbie that happens by with the same proving, and could find out quickly how to repair and tap it out..

No problem. I wouldn't  have known off the top of my head it was 8-32 so had to go into the document.

Anything and everything that Jeff does is high quality so I like reading his posts and attachments, and his brass always looks like gold.

No problem asking, it was a good question and now anyone will know it's 8-32 without downloading the pdf and reading to through it to find the information. My suggestion to read the pdf was verified by Butch Harlow who, like me, would now like to own a mini-lathe.

Butch Harlow

Quote from: Key2871 on December 09, 2018, 03:36:40 PM

I thought it was a great question also. I read the entire pdf and downloaded it and still didn't have that detail. One thing I love about this place is the great talents we have here. Where JB Weld would work perfectly, Jeff has raised the bar and put in the work to make a truly professional and permanent repair. Some of us operate on the dining room table (me) and some of us have access and experience with professional tools. This place is wonderful in that regard, no such thing as a stupid question they say. Trust me, I have tried. I always end up learning something cool instead.
Butch Harlow

Key2871

Well once John put bit was 8/32 the light went on, because long ago I needed a repop screw for a D set I had that was missing one, someone in the club gave me the answer to both questions.
KEN

Lewes2

Thank you all for the responses. 

I too was impressed read Jeff's paper not only for the quality of the writing but the technique and attention to detail.  While I have basic tools, I have nothing that compares to his workshop.  But the paper was invaluable for learning tapping techniques.  And I had no idea about bottom taps but the issue had been floating around in my deep subconscious every time I look at the tapered tap. 

Over the weekend and before reading all the responses, I had come to the conclusion to use Butch's solution, i.e., fill the hold with JB Weld and tap with an 8-32 tap.  The question now in my mind is will I need an 8-32 bottom tap as well in order to get a sufficient number of thread the screw can hold on to? 

Chuck