News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How to Wire 51-501-T with 425A Network, and C3A ringer, & 426A Tube.

Started by Dan/Panther, May 12, 2010, 07:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Dan/Panther

Jorge;
I have everything apart, so I'm going to wait until I get it back together to wire it.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

I finished up the 1951-501T tonight.
Here is a photo.
It's wired and works great with the tube in circuit.

Here is how it's wired.

Black and Red Tube wires are connected to E.
Yellow tube wire is connected to L2.
Black ringer wire is connected to L1.
Red ringer wires is connected to E.
If L1 is not Positive switch Red and Black ringer wires.
Thanks for showing me how to connect the wires. My problem with the weak ringer was the wire connected at the gong was bent and stopping the ringer gong from full travel.
I'll post a couple photos of the inside tomorrow.

D/P

Dan/Panther

Here is a drawing of the wiring as it turned out.
D/P

JorgeAmely

D/P:
Excellent drawing of the circuit diagram. And of course, the black 501 looks brand new. Did you put some of the Turtle Wax F21 stuff on it? The handset cord looks very shiny.

Jorge

Dan/Panther

I spent about 2 hours with a hand buffer and Novus2, then rubbed on an F-21 finish, then hand buffed with a micro fiber rag from Wal-Mart. The only parts i neded to make it all 1951, are the receiver and transmitter caps, currently they are from 1953.
I'm trying to compile a complete folder of all of the wiring diagram for phones that I have. I've posted several to the forum already.
The 501 works and sounds as good as it look, the 48-500 really gave me some pointers on how to clean these babies up.
My next project is my next phone in line, a  52-500.
D/P

Dan/Panther

I have posted a new copy of the wiring diagram for the 501-T. Bill Guerts pointed out that the white wire going to terminal F, actually goes to R terminal. The white wire shown going to the F terminal is actually White and Brown coming from the Lineswitch. Sorry about that oversight, and thank you Bill.
The diagram is posted where the other one was.
And I'll repost it here.
D/P

Phonesrfun

Your drawings are by far the best I've seen.  They are great
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Bill;
Once the bugs are all dug out, they are a real help to me. I can read schematics, but sometimes they require a certain degree of concentration to get it right. I learned to follows colors early on in life.
To me it's easier to match a color to a letter or number than it is to trace a line, where all lines are pretty much the same.
Plus you don't have to follow a wire from it's origin, to see if it's in the right spot.
I usually only include wires that can be disconnected. the Contact lines witch wiring is usually soldered so they normally aren't move or switched to get a phone working.
I will be submitting any diagrams to you with your help to insure they are correct before I post any more.
D/P

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

mr_a500

I need help wiring my '53 501, C3A ringer & 426A tube, but 425B Network. Can somebody help? Here's how it's currently wired (and it doesn't ring):

Edit: darn. It's been automatically resized - making it hard to clearly see that spaghetti mess of wiring.

mr_a500

I don't get it. I tried wiring this three different ways, but it doesn't work properly. I tried wiring this thing both with the tube and without. When I hang up, a few seconds later I get a single light "ding dong" from the bells. When I answer, it's the automated phone message telling me to hang up the phone and try my call again. (but when hanging up, it seems to hang up properly - with no noise from the handset)

I've noticed there's no wire on the A terminal. Every photo I've seen has a cream coloured wire there.

Dan/Panther

Connect the black ringer wire to the green line wire terminal, The yellow and Black line wires are not needed. disconnect them and tape the ends so the don't short against anything.
If everything is wired as in my diagram it should ring and operate normally. If not maybe the tube is weak or bad.
D/P

mr_a500

Quote from: Dan/Panther on October 26, 2010, 02:39:36 PM
Connect the black ringer wire to the green line wire terminal, The yellow and Black line wires are not needed. disconnect them and tape the ends so the don't short against anything.
If everything is wired as in my diagram it should ring and operate normally. If not maybe the tube is weak or bad.
D/P

Your diagram is lovely, but how can I use that with a 425B network? (I tried, but the 425B has no E terminal.)

Now I've tried wiring it 4 different ways, but it still doesn't ring. (...is there a chance I could blow something up by wiring it the wrong way?)

Phonesrfun

It isn't very difficult, and I can definitely help out but not until later tonight.  JorgeAmely is the local expert on the cold cathode tubes, so if he sees this before I get a chance to go home and refer to a drawing, all the better. 

The cold cathode tube is polarity sensitive, and will only ring if the line is connected with the correct polarity.  Also, the tubes sometimes get weak over time, and become inoperative, or kind of weak in the ring they create.

The tube was meant to be a selective device for ringing a variety of parties on a party line without having everyone's phone ring at the same time on that party line.  If the tube cannot be made to work, then simply hooking the ringer up as a normal ringer will also get you ringing.
-Bill G