News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

51AL Questions.

Started by Kenny C, February 22, 2011, 08:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

how much should be in the phone and the reciver?

This is my first candlestick so I will have lots of questions
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

bingster

There's no set amount that goes inside each.  It's however much winds up sticking out after you attach the spades to the terminals on the rack inside the phone, and after you tie the other end inside the receiver.  Probably a couple inches are hidden in the receiver and five or six inside the phone.
= DARRIN =

Kenny C

I cant follow the diagram for a 51AL.

How do I hook it up? I am completly lost in a candle stick.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

Which subset are you hooking it to?

I assume you have three wires coming from the candlestick base which should be yellow, green, and red?

If so, they hook up to the subset exactly the same as a 102:

Red to "R" in the subset
Yellow to "L2/Y" in the subset
Green to "GN" in the subset

-Bill G

Kenny C

I am hooking it to a 302

And I am talking about internal wiring/ switch wires and dial wires and transmitter wires
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

OK, there were several hookswitch configurations for candlesticks, so if you could post a picture of the post designations on the hookswitch, a photo of the back of the dial, and tell me if there is a wire harness that connects the hookswitch with the connections in the base of the phone, I think I can lead you through it with no sweat.

-Bill G

Kenny C

Here you go, yes there is a harness
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

Can you post a picture of the harness, or describe the wires?
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

I am hoping you have the standard harness so if your harness is different than what I am expecting, we will need to change this:

The transmitter should have two wires.  One is wired to post YY on the hookswitch, and the black wire goes to terminal BK on the dial.

The receiver has two wires.  The white wire should go to terminal "W" on the dial, and the green wire should go to the "GN" terminal inside the base of the candlestick.

The three-conductor line cord should connect inside the candlestick base as follows:
Red to the "R" terminal pad
Green to the "GN" terminal pad
Yellow th the "Y" terminal on the dial

The trhee-conductor line cord should connect inside the 302 subset as follows:

Red to the "R" terminal on the 101-A induction coil
Green to "GN" on the the 101-A induction coil
Yellow to the "L2/Y" terminal on the 101-A induction coil

-Bill G

Kenny C

Yes there is a Yellow, Blue, Black, Brown?, and faded red.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

Can you post a good photo of the inside of the base of the phone?  I would like to see which kind of terminal strips it has that are connected to the screw supports for the base.

Candlestick wiring, while based on simple principles is often kind of crazy because of production and model differences and in-the-field changes that seem to have been made.

-Bill G

Kenny C

Sure bill I will go take some now.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

Here is the best pictures I could get

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

I'll stare at this tonight and let you know.  It just got busy here at work.

Can you take a picture of the hookswitch connections by pulling it out of the shaft?  You appear to have the same wiring harness that Marty has in his 151AL.  For that reason, I would like to see what yours looks like at the hookswitch.

The terminals that the red and green wires connect to....Are they labeled R and GN?  Most likely they are.

Are you using a 3 or 4 conductor line cord?
-Bill G

Kenny C

ok. Yes they are labled R and GN.  A 3 conductor line cord.

Here is a Photo of the hookswitch. If this is a 151 hookswitch could it be wired for anti-sidetone.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010