News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another Phone & Subset, Now Another Problem. Low Volume.

Started by hemi71x, March 24, 2011, 05:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

I just posted a post then promptly deleted it, as I misunderstood what Bingster was saying and I mis-interpreted the photo.  Yes, the black deskset cord and the black handset wire both need to be on the BK terminal on the dial.

To recap:

Black mounting cord wire and black handset should both go to BK on the dial.  BK on the hookswitch goes to Y on the dial via the jumper wire.  W on the hookswitch to BB on the dial via the other jumper wire.  Red from the handset and red from the deskset cord both go to R on the dial.  White receiver cord goes to W on the dial.  Green deskset cord to GN on the hookswitch.  Yellow from the deskset cord to Y on the hookswitch.

Looks like Stingo needs some spade tips and a suitable crimper for the small tips.

I have been reading the mail on this thread, but unable to participate due to an overwhelming work schedule.
-Bill G

Stingo

Okay, just did that and it's worse than the way I had it connected. :)  Sorry..... (I am staring this thing apart. Something that might help me a great deal is to understand the terminals and their labeling logic...

L1
L2
RR
C   (instead of BK as you advised in an earlier post)

~Stingo

bingster

No, not inside the 2500 subset.  Only within the body of the phone.  The black mounting cord conductor that you have connected to BB on the dial is supposed to be attached to BK on the dial.  Just move that one wire and you may completely fix your problem.
= DARRIN =

Phonesrfun

I will take a 2500 with a printed circuit-type network and try to duplicate what you have going, Stingo.

More to come....
-Bill G

Stingo

Thanks phonesrfun.....

@bingster: I haven't moved anything in the subset.... no worries. I DO understand what you are saying, and I have done that but it does not fix anything. Only made it fainter. Remember where these wires are coming from (the subset).
The reason I asked about the subset labeling is to better understand the circuitry.

Subset R - Base R
Subset GN - Base GN
Subset L2 - Base Y

Subset C - Base BK   (this is what baffles me because connecting it to BK makes it worse than if I connect it where the original black was)... But I'll go with it.

~Stingo

Phonesrfun

There is no BK on any circuit board.  But, it should have a B.  Can you check for that?  My late model 2500 has a slightly different layout than yours, but it does have a B terminal.  B is what you want.  Can you check before we go any further?
-Bill G

bingster

Ok, I see what you're saying now.  I just wanted to make sure you weren't confusing the two BK terminals inside the phone (the BK terminal on the springs and the BK terminal on the dial).
= DARRIN =

Stingo

Quote from: Phonesrfun on April 10, 2011, 10:58:13 PM
There is no BK on any circuit board.  But, it should have a B.  Can you check for that?  My late model 2500 has a slightly different layout than yours, but it does have a B terminal.  B is what you want.  Can you check before we go any further?

No B.

Before YOU go further, let me draw an EXACT layout of the board and terminals - minus the wires. I sent you a PM but hold off until I get the drawing done and I will post it here. I don't want to waste anyone's time :)  Thanks!
~Stingo

Phonesrfun

Here is the problem.  It does not matter whether you hook the black wire to the B or the C terminal.  What is causing the problem is that one of the switches in the 2500 hookswitch is there to shunt the receiver when the hookswitch is down.  This is done in the 2500 and the 500 phones to help eliminate loud clicks in the receiver when hanging up.   You left the hookswitch connected thinking that if it were "hung-up", it would be completely out of the picture.  Not so.  There should be a slate colored wire on the 2500 coming from the hookswitch going to the "R" terminal on the network board.  I believe if you disconnect that, you will find that it works.

Also, to reiterate, the other end of the black wire in the mounting cord going from the "subset" to the phone body should be connected to the BK terminal on the dial along with the black wire from the handset.  BK is the second from the left on the arched terminal board on the back of the dial.

-Bill
-Bill G

Stingo

You were correct, Bill. It works now!

I unhooked the slate (grey) wire from the R terminal and the volume is about normal.... Not LOUD by any means but probably for a 202, normal :)
Now I am going to clean up all the connections, assemble it all, then I will work on replicating the mounting cord so it looks more original.

Thanks to Bingster for being so kind to the newbie! and for the great help!
Thanks to Kenny C and happy belated 15th birthday!
Thanks to Bill for hitting the nail on the head. I just never thought to disable the switch hook :)
~Stingo

Stingo

Fully functional :) :)

After speaking with Bill Geurts (phonesrfun) on the phone, we both talked further regarding the volume issue, as we both felt that though it was greatly improved after disconnecting the switch hook wire (slate color), he thought it should be louder. He suggested disabling the touch tone key pad from any of the terminals on the subset board that are being used by the mounting cord wires. Rather than mess with the terminals on the main board, one by one I unplugged wires from the back of the keypad and when I pulled the orange wire, the volume almost doubled, to a level I feel is GREAT.

So, in summary, looks like I had the mounting cord wired correctly to the subset, but failed to disconnect the switch hook and keypad wiring. The following corrective measures taken to restore the volume:

1. Disconnect the slate colored (gray) switch hook wire from the R terminal on the subset board (this disables the switch hook and improves continuity).

2. Disconnect orange wire from the back of the touch tone key pad (improves continuity).

Thanks again!
~Stingo

bingster

Bill has been involved in making more telephones work than you can shake a handset at.  Good job, guys!
= DARRIN =

Stingo

Thanks Darrin.... It was a great way to get initiated in the old phone hobby business... I haven't even been at this a week!  :D

BTW, one correction from my post above, I did have to reconnect the Orange wire, as disabling it also disabled the transmitter :D However disconnecting other wires while having the phone hooked up "live" did prove to improve the volume to normal.

I went through and put spade connectors on everything and reassembled the 2500 as the subest, and tested everything :thumbup:  :D
~Stingo