Started by wheelhorse, June 12, 2012, 01:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheelhorse

Also, there is a 419 stamped on the side of the coil

G-Man

Quote from: wheelhorse on June 12, 2012, 04:51:27 PM
9-64

83j-60

60-cycle frequency ringer. Absolutely will not work.

I don't know if the nibbling technique as described by others will allow it to respond enough to at least tinkle the bells.

Most likely you will need a replacement straight-line ringer or an external ringer box.

wheelhorse

Thanks so much for your help gman!  I'll see what I can do about replacing this ringer with an updated one . I might have a couple old phones laying around somewhere :D  At lest it works for outgoing!! :D

LarryInMichigan

Those SC ringers are probably the easiest frequency ringers to modify because the reed is so accessible.  The reed can be cut to reduce its stiffness.  It might also be necessary to increase the capacitance in the circuit since the capacitor included with a 60 Hz ringer is probably only a third of the value of that for an SL ringer.  I do not know what the value is or should be.

Larry

wheelhorse

Well, since I can't use it anyway, I may as well attempt a go at it.  The cap is an electrolytic right?  I know I have a few left over from a radio repair somewhere...I'll see if there's been any other posts.  Would be great to keep the original ringer if at all possible (the chime is so pleasant).

stub

wheelhorse ,
                I have a extra one for $15. plus shipping if you can't fix yours. Let me know later if you need it.      stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

wheelhorse

Stub,

I may be interested.  This is a ringer which works with modern phone systems?

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: wheelhorse on June 12, 2012, 05:21:33 PM
Well, since I can't use it anyway, I may as well attempt a go at it.  The cap is an electrolytic right?  I know I have a few left over from a radio repair somewhere...I'll see if there's been any other posts.  Would be great to keep the original ringer if at all possible (the chime is so pleasant).

The capacitor is not electrolytic.  Electrolytic capacitors are never used for ringers.

Larry

wheelhorse

Thanks for the heads up Larry :o I have a pile of non electrolytic caps laying here on the table too.  Just have to figure out what the o/g cap was.

stub

wheelhorse ,
                   It works on POTS ( plain ole telephone service) line here I don't know how much Comcast ringing voltage is. You can check yours on AC  scale, mine is about 70 volts  AC.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

wheelhorse

Stub,

These are the specs on my modem.

Telephony
Supervisory Voltage 48 V dc nominal
Maximum Loop Length to CPE 1500 ft (457M) of 26 AWG (0.4 mm) wire
Ringing Load Capacity 10 REN total; 5 per line
48 V dc nominal
1500 ft (457M) of 26 AWG (0.4 mm) wire
10 REN total; 5 per line

Might be able to get it to work, but I'm going to TRY to use a ringer from a junk 70s phone I have lying around for the moment.  Very difficult to hear a nonexistant bell :D