News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg Redbar

Started by BDM, March 04, 2009, 10:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

Gents, have any of you ever hooked one up? If so, how was the sound quality?
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Perry

I have one (actually 2, but one is not assembled yet). I haven't tested it thoroughly or measured it, but I have the impression that the sound quality (volume of receiver and transmitter) is not quite as good as on my 302s or 500s. It just seems a little quieter. There is a movable contact link inside to change the side tone qualities, but I still haven't figured out the setup that works best (in theory, I suppose it should be the "long loop" setup?). I'm also planning to clean the dial and switch contacts, if I can ever locate some electrical contact cleaner. I like the phone's design, so I would like to get it working well for regular use.

It's a bit hard to evaluate, though, because if I am talking to someone and they tell me that I need to speak up, I am never really sure if the problem is on my end or theirs. (This never seems to happen with the WE500, though.) I don't have anyone to call who I know has a good, reliable (i.e., non-cell) phone and would have the patience to put up with my phone tests. (It's amazing how many people have gone cell-only, despite the often-poor audio quality.)

BDM

Perry, I've heard in the past that the network design isn't as efficient as the W.E. or A.E. sets. Mine is quiet. Receive volume is about, or slightly less than a 302 as an example. Now, my transmitter element seems just about dead! So, I hooked up an F1 handset. Transmitted audio is clean, and audio quality seems very good. But actual transmitted volume is low compared to the others.

Yup, I'm aware of the sidetone adjustment. I was calling my cell and running my normal test by talking to myself. I also listen for back ground noise. I simply mute the cell phone to avoid any unwanted feedback.

I need to get a couple more so I can do a test and make sure I'm not suffering a bad component.

On a side note. If any of you gents ever needs to perform a field test over the phone, let me know. First, I'm on Vonage. So no matter were you are, I can call and it won't run me a penny more. Second, I also like performing telephone equipment test. So, if ever the urge arises, email me and we'll set a time up.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI