News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need Help With 500H

Started by Dennis Markham, December 02, 2012, 06:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

I recently acquired an early lighted Model 500, the Model 500H.  I've been working on it all day today and am at the point where I'm trying to properly connect the wires.

I've referred to the BSP 502-58-404 posted at the TCI library seen here:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=2309&Itemid=27

The title says 500H T1.  I'm not sure what the T1 designates.  The schematic indicates a 425E Network as opposed to the 425B that is in this phone.  I kept track of the wiring the way it was when I got it but I'm not convinced it was wired properly.  There is at least one switch wire that is soldered to terminal #4 on the terminal strip and I don't even see that on the aforementioned schematic.

Does anyone have a 500H that I can bother to compare wiring, or can someone help me shed some light on where to find the proper schematic if in fact this one is not the one for this phone? 

I appreciate any help that can be provided.

poplar1

Dennis, the BSP your link points to (502-580-404 Issue 2) does show the slate-green hookswitch wire going to 4 on the terminal strip, along with one lamp lead. The other lamp lead goes to 5 on the terminal strip, the slate-white hookswitch goes to E1, and the transformer connects to 5 and E1.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Dennis Markham

David, thank you for your response.  Should I assume that the 425B is the same as the later, 425E network?  There are some differences with the connections of the dial and the ringer which is what I am most uncertain about.  Currently I have it wired in this configuration (so far).

The terminal strip:

On terminal #4 I have one black wire to the lamp.  Soldered above it is a switch wire.  Looks like slate and gray, but the color may vary.

On terminal #5 I have yellow from the mounting cord and above that soldered yellow to terminal G.

On Terminal E2 is the second black lamp wire and above that the black mounting cord wire.  (I'm assuming black and yellow will be my transformer connections). 

To the far right is Terminal E1.  Currently there is a switch wire here (not soldered).  Looks like Slate and Gray or Slate and Green).

That leaves the other two mounting cord wires.  I have Green on Terminal F and Red to L2.

Ringer -
Slate/Red to Terminal A
Slate to Terminal K
Black to L1 (Where I thought Mounting Cord Green should be)
Red to L2

According to that diagram the Dial should be connected
Blue to F
Green to RR
White to GN
White to GN

The dial connections (7C) are common connections.

I have not tried to plug it in yet, wanted to make sure I had things right before I added power.  I haven't checked for dial tone either.

Do those connections look correct to you, David?

poplar1

The black ringer goes to F (along with the blue dial wire and green line wire). That is the "new L1" because the hookswitch leads that normally connect to L1 and F are now used for the lamp.

Move lamp wire that is on E2 to 5.  (5 should have one lamp lead along with the yellow line wire and jumper to G).

Move black line wire from E2 to E1. Connect slate-white hookswitch lead to E1.

Also, one white dial lead from GN to R

Follow the path:
Transformer>black line wire>E1>slate-white hookswitch>(off hook)>slate-green
hookswitch>4>lamp lead>lamp>lamp lead>5>yellow line cord>transformer

I think the only difference in a 425B and 425E is that there is a screw terminal for C.

Dennis Markham

Thank you David.  I'm going to go down in my dungeon and do some work on it.  I'll make those wiring connections and report back.  The only other wire that I may have put on the wrong terminal is a slate/gray wire from the switch.  It's currently connected to L2.  I'll make these other modifications and see what happens next.

Thanks again!

poplar1

Dennis, I drew out what you have and it would work if you move the hookswitch wire from E1 to 5. However, to me it is better to use the BSP diagram which I tried to follow.

In a 500D dated 1958 the only hookswitch wires with spade tips are slate  and slate-white. Not sure if this is the case in a 500H. So I am wondering if you have the correct color leads for controlling the lamp.  The slate-green and slate-white go from the middle two contacts of the hookswitch to 4 and E1 in the 500H.

Dennis Markham

David, it works perfectly!  As Gomer Pyle would say, "thank ya, thank ya, thank ya!"

I plan to make a post about this phone soon.  It really turned out beautifully and works great too.  This model was made in 1954, the precursor to the Princess and the 500U and 500P.

I wired it as you instructed.

RotarDad

Dennis - I would appreciate seeing one of your detailed posts on your "H".  Paul F's site says this model was introduced in '54, so you must have an early one.  I kept a few photos from a "H" that sold on Ebay a while back, thinking they might be of help with my "P" model.  They don't show the terminal strip, but the network wiring is pretty clear.  I know you're up and running, but perhaps these are of some value.  Note this one is dated 7/55, much later than yours. 
Paul

Dennis Markham

Thanks for posting those photos, Paul.  I've started on a web album with detailed photos. I should have it finished soon.  Do you remember what this one sold for on eBay?

One difference I've noticed so far is the finger wheel itself.  The one on my '54 is much thicker than the standard open center wheel of the time.  It reminds me of the thick Lucite wheel that is often found on the early AE80's or other models of AE phones.  The only other obvious difference is the straight vs coiled handset cord.

RotarDad

Dennis - I checked the date I saved the photos: 2/3/12, which should be about the time the auction took place.  I remember the phone was in very nice condition.  The only strange thing was the "braided" line cord which you can barely see in the pics.  I didn't save any of the other pics from the auction.  If I remember correctly, it had a $600 BIN and someone grabbed it at that price.  Sounds like you've got a straight handset cord as well - that is a great find...  looking forward to seeing it and hearing the story!
Paul

Dennis Markham

Thank you Paul for the information.  I may merge parts of this thread with the other that I started about the 500H.  I have added a link to my web album on that thread.

www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8083