News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

701B Princess will not dial out

Started by davidbholcomb, January 03, 2013, 10:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidbholcomb

I have worked on this problem and I am getting nowhere with it. My 701B (March 62) works. I get dial tone, and the transmitter works. The night light works as well as the increased dial light when it goes off hook. One little problem, it will not dial out. The dial moves smoothly and appears to move at the right speed. When you dial it does not break the dial tone. (you do not hear the dial tone as the dial is moving) The dial has 4 wires coming from it blue, green, and 2 white. Blue goes to RR, Green goes to F (top center), one White goes to GN, and the other white goes to R.  One of the things that I have tried so far is to find a schematic in the TCI library, which I did, and I thought I was reading it right so I switched the Blue and Green wire, Blue to F and Green to RR but that did not work. I include a picture of the dial wiring in hopes that someone will see where the problem is. Any and all suggestions welcomed. Thanks
Dave, who still needs a Transmitter Bracket for the Automatic Electric Type 38 Handset.

LarryInMichigan

The blue and green wires are interchangeable.  The dial breaks contact between the two while returning.  If you disconnect one of those wires from the network, does the phone go "on-hook"?  Do you hear anything from the receiver?  I am assuming that your phone service supports pulse dialing.  The dial pulsing contacts may not be separating for the proper amount of time, or something might be bypassing them.

Larry

davidbholcomb

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 03, 2013, 10:27:15 PM
The blue and green wires are interchangeable.  The dial breaks contact between the two while returning.  If you disconnect one of those wires from the network, does the phone go "on-hook"?  Do you hear anything from the receiver?  I am assuming that your phone service supports pulse dialing.  The dial pulsing contacts may not be separating for the proper amount of time, or something might be bypassing them.

Larry

Hi Larry, thanks for responding, yes my service supports pulse dialing, I have several other pulse phones on-line. So I can hear dial tone in the receiver and when I disconnected the blue wire I still had dial tone, no clicks or anything else. I started off hook and it stayed off hook.
I have built the SIMPLE TALK AND CONTINUITY TESTER found on the oldphoneguy website(if he reads this thank you), is there a way to test the dial with this?

Thanks for the time and help, Dave
Dave, who still needs a Transmitter Bracket for the Automatic Electric Type 38 Handset.

davidbholcomb

I have been playing with it some more and I noticed that with it off hook and dial tone I start to dial and I can still hear the dial tone ever so faintly in the receiver. Could this be a clue?

davidbholcomb

On the schematic below I have pointed out an "X" with "ON" next to it and in the key is "ON - OFF NORMAL" Does anyone know what that means?

Thanks, Dave

Phonesrfun

It means that the contact springs close to short out (shunt) the receiver when the dial finger wheel is moved from it normal at-rest position.  Thr reason for the shunt is to keep the dial pulses from being heard during dialing.  If you still hear the dial tone when the dial is off-normal, then the contacts of the dial ON contacts might need cleaning.

The contacts are connected with the two white wires.

Do not use sandpaper or a finger nail file or anything abrasive, or you will ruin the contact points.  use a. Business card oe some rough surfaced card stock to move back and forth between the contacts while the switch is closed, using just the pressure that the contacts normally exert.
-Bill G

davidbholcomb

Thanks Bill and Larry for taking the time to try and figure this out. I have spent hours today reading and checking the schematic trying to figure it out and until a half hour ago I did not see it. See below for the fix. My light blue 701B Princess works and looks as good as it did back in 62. I am now going to sleep with the glow of the night light beaming on the night stand.
Thanks
Dave