"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help with old germany phone connection

Started by johniggle, February 05, 2013, 04:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johniggle

Hi ,
I am restoring an old Bakelite German phone witch has no type or any other marks on it. It has one red button for the operator and 5 white buttons to pass the line to one of the 5 additional users. Also has an mechanical ''eye'' that shows if one of the 5 users is ''on line''. It has internal buzzer instead of a ringer.I try to operate it but i don't know how to connect the cables at the back. So i post the markings and i hope someone can help me .
The markings(screws) are from the top left: Lea...Lwa....Na....Mha..............1....3....5.....SZa....+B
                              and from the bottom left: Leb...Lwb....Nb....Mhb....Sn......2....4....SZc....SZb....-B
I believe that the numbers are from the one cable of the 5 users but i don't know where i have to connect the other cable.
When i connect the telephone line to the Na and Nb screws i can  only call someone and talk with  but that is all. No buzzer if other someone call me back.
PLEASE HELP ME !!!!!!

Haf

Hi johniggle and everyone else.
Originally I planned to post an new member introduction first but now this will be my first post :)
Sounds like you got a so called "Vorzimmeranlage"  an executive secretary's Phone. It's little bit tricky to tell any details without pics, that would help a lot to identify the exact model. Usually the code for telephone line is La and Lb, Na and Nb are normally substtion lines "Nebenstellen". The mechanical " eye" is called a "Schauzeichen", the optical type instead of an audible ringer. Are there no markings on the bottom of the base plate to help identify the model?
Oh, btw I am from Germany and registrated here for some infos about my US phones, but always glad to help with old German ones. So please post some pictures or even better, the exact model type maybe stamped on the base.

Regards Haf

ps: Excuse if my english is not as good as should be.
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

dsk

Welcome to both of you!

My English is not the best either. (I'm from Norway, were do you come from?)

Pictures tells a lot, and may help us to help each other. And we learns a lot too.

La and Lb are often tip and ring on the line. W has often a relation to ringer circuits. B may often refer to battery...

dsk

teka-bb

It sounds more like a so-called 'Reihenapparat' like this one:

http://www.erel.de/INH/15/1532201/index.htm
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

Haf

I called it "Vorzimmeranlage" including all kinds of so called "Reihenapparat", "Vermittlungsapparat" "Zwischenumschalter" and so on. "Vorzimmeranlage" is the generally term for a secretary's phone with several functions like switching within the lines, holding calls, sometimes- wich i like most- even an button for the red "Bitte nicht Stören" (do not disturb) lighted sign above the directors office.
I know the link at the erel page and found some more like: http://home.arcor.de/volker.roehricht/VZA24V.HTM
but without any pictures will be really difficult to identify, as ther is quite a variety of phones like this over the years.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

johniggle

This is the phone

dsk

It is a risk of answering on something different from what you were asking about, but based on Remcos link. the basics of the diagram is here.

If you connect your telephone line to LeA and LeB it should work, but it has no ringer.

dsk

johniggle

Hi again,
The phone works when i connect the line to La and Lb but no buzz neither the mechanical " eye" works. Now i have to find out how i can make it ring with other ringer .Thanks for the help and the links.
John

dsk

If you just want the eye to indicate off hook (and maybe later ringing) try this:

1) move the incoming line from LeB to SzA.
2) put a capacitor between SzA and SzB. anything from 1 to 5 µF will do.
3) Strap (connect) Szb and Leb.
Try.
4) if its not working, change polarity on line.

If you want it to indicate other telephones in use  those telephones has to be connected to LwB and LwB so all the current passes your telephone.

dsk

dsk

An external ringer with capacitor could be connected to LwB and LwB.

If you put in a relay instead of that external ringer, and use a 9-12 V DC power supply (9V battery?) you may let the relay send some DC to your internal buzzer. + to B and - to W.

If you not are afraid of trying a high REN load, you could simply connect LWA to B and put a capacitor of e.g. 1 µF (you may try different values from 0.5-2.2 µF) between W and LwB.

dsk

johniggle

Hi,
I connect LWA to B and put a capacitor of 2,2 µF between W and LwB and now the internal buzzer works when someone calls.
Now i am going to restore one military TA-312 /PT field phone.
Thank you all for the help
John Igglezakis

johniggle

OLD TELEPHONE JACK

LarryInMichigan

dsk

It looks like it will fit the European 230V outlets:

It scares me  :o

If its different, no problem! :) and its shows polarity doesn't matter  :D

dsk

twocvbloke

Yeah, looks like a Europlug, which aren't meant to be used for telephones, unless you're one of them sorts who intentionally destroys things for youtube...... :o

Here's one I got with my new TV, I'm using it in the adaptor in the background cos it's handy... :D