"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Newbie here with WE 304 - Reciever Issue

Started by jpd158, February 18, 2013, 12:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpd158

Hi Guys,

I'm a new collector, just getting started in the hobby.  I've always loved all things 40's, so when I saw the phones I now have, I grabbed them.  Picked up a Stromberg Carlson for 20 bucks, and it worked great as soon as I got it.  On this past New Year's Eve, I picked up what I really wanted, which was a Western Electric 302 (or so I thought), with an E-1 handset.  This one didn't work, so after some research, I was able to contact Dennis Markham who graciously helped me rewire it.  (Dennis also identified it as a 304, not a 302.)  After rewiring the phone and trying it out, it works, except I can't hear anything through the receiver.  The wiring for the handset seems ok (as far as I can tell with my limited knowledge), but then I compared mine to other E-1 handsets and it seems to be missing a part, specifically the diaphragm.

I have included pictures of the phone and the handset.  The handset photo shows the receiver parts just as I got it.  I can't hear anything out of it, except for that sound that a phone makes when the phone has been off the hook for too long.  I can hear it, but it's very faint.  That's all I can hear though, no dial tone, no voice.

My question is, will purchasing a diaphragm solve my problem?   Thanks for the help.

Jim

dsk

Welcome!

The answer will be: probably.

An easy way to test it out is to use the magnetic cover of a food can after carefully opened it with a can opener.

Of course  this is not as a real one, but it works. (It has to be magnetic, not aluminum)

If you have one of those thin plates from a calender of that kind you move a magnetic ring on to point out today, its nearly perfect.

dsk

LarryInMichigan

Jim,

Welcome to the forum.  You definitely want to get a diaphragm, and Steve Hilsz will probably be able to sell you one for really cheap: http://phonesurplus.com/e1parts.html.  Your phone looks great, and it can work well also.

Larry

HowardPgh

You can hear the off hook sound without the diaphragm in because it is very loud and it is vibrating the coil parts in the receiver.
I think a diaphragm would make a world of difference!
Very nice looking phone, I like the 302 style a lot.
Howard