News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE80 with no sound from earpiece

Started by WillE, February 18, 2013, 11:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Assuming that you are in the USA rather than Canada  it will be less expensive for me to send you one rather than Dave. Only thing is that I am in Canada as well but go to the US fairly often so you will have to wait until my next trip there.

Terry

Phonesrfun

Quote from: G-Man on February 22, 2013, 06:42:29 AM
Hmm...

Typically if the receiver is defective it is usually open and you would not register any reading. Is the scale on you meter properly set? If not the receiver may have a 90-Ohm coil instead. However, if you did not disconnect the wires and the receiver is open, that would explain the high reading.

Do you have another receiver element available (any manufacturer) to perform a quick test?

His has a varistor across it (See his first set of photos).  That would account for the 9k ohm resistance.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

Aah thanks Bill. That explains it!

Terry

stub

Wonder why this one is 50.4 ohms?   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Phonesrfun

Hi Ken:

It should be 50 Ohms.  WillE's receiver has an apparently open coil which should have a 50 Ohm resistance.  The varistor has a high resistance when no voltages are present, so the 9k resistance is what he is measuring from just the varistor.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

60 ohms for receiver and 9k ohms for varistor in parallel would wind up being roughly 50 ohms wouldn't it?

Terry

WillE

Running errands again in Tacoma and happened to go past the electronics surplus store where the AE80 was purchased.  Decided to visit and search for more treasures.  Told the owner about the fun I was having reviving the old phone--and he said he had some old receivers.  An Ohmmeter test (50 Ohms), $2 and a drive home and this old AE is doing its job!  This is a very nice $12 telephone.  Photos show its new home.

Took the old receiver apart and, sure enough, one of those thin-as-a-hair wires had broken from its post creating an open circuit.

Many thanks to all who offered assistance.  What a great forum!

WillE

AE_Collector

That is the earliest plastic finger wheel with the chrome ring number card holder. They don't make them like that anymore. Uhhh, I guess they don't make them AT ALL anymore. RIP Automatic Electric!

Terry

LarryInMichigan

That is a very nice looking phone.  That beige color is close to the 1950s Western Electric rose beige.  I think that it is much nicer than the light beige which WE and others used.

Larry