News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phone and line connections to a 684 Subset

Started by j.bridwell, April 11, 2009, 02:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j.bridwell

I finally finished repairing a 684 subset.  Thanks to all who helped.  The next one will be MUCH easier.  I've never seen a photo of the original wiring coming into the subset from the wall and out to the phone/receiver.  I'm curious where they enter/exit the subset and how they're connected.  I have the cloth cords with hooks., but would like to do it correctly before I pinch the hooks onto something.  A picture would be great if available.  Thanks!
Philip

McHeath

Nice job, it sure looks great!  Now you will be the subset go to guy. 

bingster

The "S" hook on the end of the mounting cord slips over the black hook that I've circled in red.  It appears on the surface, that the restraint won't stay in place on that hook, but once the cover's installed, you can't make it come off.  From there,  the conductors are routed through the guide that I've circled in blue.  That guide keeps them from interfering with the ringer assembly. 

The wire that would have originally entered the subset would have been two- or three-conductor twisted bridle wire or standard round station wire.  You'll probably want to use a piece of modular wire on it for convenience.  Whatever the wire though, it enters behind the subset through the lower "tunnel" that I've circled in green, and is pulled into the subset through the oval hole that's circled in yellow.

You've photographed your subset on a BSP for subsets... do you have a digital copy of that, by any chance?
= DARRIN =

j.bridwell

Thanks bingster.  Here's a link to the PDF.  http://www.telephonecollectors.org/library/weco/634684a.pdf
I enjoyed disassembling, cleaning and rewiring the subset.  No moving pieces and simple electronics!  After an afternoon experimenting with different spacings of the clapper to the gongs, spacing between the contacts, and the spring tension I was able to tune an exceptionally beautiful ring.  Now to work on the receiver...
Philip

bingster

Thanks for the link.  I thought I had collected all the BSPs on that page, but I must have missed that one. 

These really do have a nice ring when they're adjusted properly.  Getting to that sound is often a tedious process, as you found out, but the sound is definitely worth the effort.

You did a great job with this one.  It looks absolutely beautiful.
= DARRIN =

cloyd

Quote from: j.bridwell on April 11, 2009, 02:02:04 PM
I finally finished repairing a 684 subset.  Thanks to all who helped.  The next one will be MUCH easier.  I've never seen a photo of the original wiring coming into the subset from the wall and out to the phone/receiver.  I'm curious where they enter/exit the subset and how they're connected.  I have the cloth cords with hooks., but would like to do it correctly before I pinch the hooks onto something.  A picture would be great if available.  Thanks!
Philip

Philip,
Nice work on the 684 subset!  It was quite awhile ago now but I was admiring it nonetheless.  I was wondering if you replaced the wiring in your subset.  I have that subset too but the condenser is flipped so that the wires, which are shorter than the ones you used, can reach the induction coil.  Having it in that direction prevents the use of the cord management clips.  It is a small detail, I know, but I was wondering where you got your new cord in case I ever have enough time to "fix" something that is already working.   :)
Tina Loyd
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885