News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Perennial Pink 500U SOLD!

Started by jsowers, December 01, 2018, 01:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsowers

Those of us who make a habit of perusing eBay telephones have gotten to know the perennial pink 500U that's been there for over a year, just waiting for someone with a whole wad of money to come along. Finally that has happened, believe it or not, and the phone actually sold. See the pictures below if you don't believe it. It sold for $624.95.

Harry Smith will certainly remember this one because it was once his and he painted that mushroom sort of a dusty rose color and it helped us all identify that phone on sight. To me it resembled a "wart" on the phone's face that stood out. Harry, you've said before you have a good sense of humor and I hope you don't take any of this the wrong way. I think you've said before how you couldn't believe how high the price was on this phone for what it was and how it just kept appearing over and over like a bad case of acid reflux. I think you felt lucky to sell it for what you got and then this seller doubled the price (or more) and we were all left scratching our heads. I think originally it was in the $700 range.

Harry, please share your side of the story in case I got some of it wrong. And pardon my description of the phone. I've seen worse looking pink 500Us and own one that looks worse than this one, with no mushroom, a painted housing and about three different pinks going on. But then mine didn't cost $624.95.

So is anyone else shocked it brought so much?

Auction link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/302945839320
Jonathan

RotarDad

Wow - that phone was a staple of EBay phone searches. I guess that one shows that patience is often rewarded.  That one sat for probably 5 years, originally starting at over $800 iirc.  That seller also had a much nicer black 500U which was similarly overpriced, but sold several years ago.  Harry, do retell your story.....  :)
Paul

Doug Rose

this has been around for years, I think it started at $899. We all make mistakes, that is how we learn...>Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

This could be a case of the seller accepting a lower offer thru ebay. I have made offers thru ebay  on non-offer telephones. If the offer is accepted , the phone shows sold at the asking price. The sold price can be lower.  This can give a false sense of value.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

I can't believe it sold! Yes, it was once mine. I picked it up petty cheap and I think I sold it for about $120.00. I was happy with the price, I made money. The buyer immediately listed it about a week later for over $900.00! It has been a few years but at least it's gone. Hopefully the new buyer won't be listing it for sale.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"