"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Info on a Red English GPO 706 Telephone

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2018, 08:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Quote from: ThePillenwerfer on February 12, 2018, 04:38:07 PM
Take the two screws out by the cradle and the body will lift forward over the dial.

As for the protector, on the coloured wheels you can put a screw-driver under it at the right-hand side, between 1 and 0, and twist it.  Failing that, or if you're worried about damaging it, you can use the technique for the later clear ones: get a strip of sticky tape, fold to over glue-to-glue but leaving the ends loose and stick these to the protector — like and up-side-down T — and pull on the double part.

These are the official GPO instructions:—

Removal of label protector
The label protector must not be released by levering at the edge. The edge consists of a thin lip which will break easily. Warning notices are being included in the dials bought under the first contracts, and all staff who will be concerned with the dials should be instructed in the correct method of removal of the label protector. These warning notices should be removed when the dial centre label is fitted.

The easiest method of removal is to use an Extractor No. 29 which is a rubber suction disk with a finger grip. This item [Small Stores, Rate Book Section 5 (T-B)] should be requisitioned from the Supplies Dept. and issued from Section Stock one to each installation and maintenance officer concerned. Unit of issue from the Supplies Dept. is 50. The Extractor No. 29 can be released from the label Protector by lifting one edge of the rubber with the finger nail.

An alternative method of removing the label protector is to insert a Screwdriver No. 1 radially between the finger plate and the number ring at the 13 o'clock position on the dial. The screwdriver will then enter a slot in the finger plate and, by turning the screwdriver beneath the pip in a thin metal plate which is under the label protector, the protector will be ejected. Care must be taken to ensure that the end of the screwdriver is under the metal plate and not between the plate and the label protector. It is advisable to hold two fingers over the protector to restrain it during ejection. It is always advisable when replacing the protector to locate it so that its three Dips are clear of the slot provided for the screwdriver, otherwise subsequent removal might prove difficult.

Screwdriver worked like a champ. Took all of a minute. Got the cover off with ease. It cleaned up wonderfully....many thanks....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Doug Rose

O ye of little faith  8)

it has the orangy red color of a WE Red 302....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

I'm liking it though I have to admit I like any phone that reminds me of an AE 80 in any way! Another beauty for your collection Doug?

To our "GPO in the Know" members: What is the likely button function? I note the number card possibly indicating two separate lines and/or the phone potentially being an extension on a phone system/plan?

Terry

twocvbloke

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 13, 2018, 10:37:28 AMTo our "GPO in the Know" members: What is the likely button function? I note the number card possibly indicating two separate lines and/or the phone potentially being an extension on a phone system/plan?

The button will most likely be a ground-loop recall button, used for shared lines to signal to the exchange that you want to use the line, or behind a PABX to do things that I'm not too clear on so won't even attempt to guess... ;D

Doug Rose

A member said it brought earth to the line. As an old PBX guy, sounds like bringing ground to a ground start line. Whadayathink?

Yes a keeper, first new phone of the year for me. No more sales for me, so what I buy now.....I keep. I think a got a good deal $30 plus shipping.....Doug
https://tinyurl.com/y99um6ay
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Well I've heard lots about phones on PBX's over there using a ground splash at the phone to seize an outside line as opposed to the normal "Dial 9" over here. The ground may have been on much older systems than what this phone is and I know of one old PBX over here many years ago that used a ground at the extension phone to select an outside line. Not to be confused with the term "Ground Start Line" used on more modern PBX's which is a method that the PBX uses to get Dial Tone on a CO Line once an extension dials 9.

Terry

ThePillenwerfer

I'd say $30 would be a good price in England (for the buyer!) so definitely a bargain in America.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

david@london

doug -
you certainly don't hang about on cleaning up your acquisitions.... really a lovely phone in great condition, original f/w, + back-painted translucent number ring.
i wonder how it found its way from cranleigh in surrey to sweet grass, montana.

the base markings show a 1967 model, PLA is the manufacturer's code = plessey of ilford, essex (east london). http://www.britishtelephones.com/manucode.htm

edit...... hope you can get it working, these have a really nice bell sound.

Doug Rose

Thanks David.....it just needed a little polish as it was in really nice shape.  I have more time on my hands as I am out on disability. I will be the proud owner of a new right hip on 2 28....Doug
Kidphone

twocvbloke

On the plus side, you'll soon be allowed into that exclusive club, The Hip Joint...  ;D

AE_Collector

But not through airport scanners....

Terry

HarrySmith

I had a hip done a couple of years ago. Best thing I ever did! I did go through an airport after and did not set off any alarms.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Two weeks to go and I am in agony! A flight of stairs terrorizes me. I knelt down to get to a bottom shelf in the Phone room and I could not get up. Really! I crawled to the door and used the door knob to hoist me up. I feel every one of my 64 years.

Harry ....I  do hope you are right....Doug
Kidphone