$14,99 BIN and $12.50 s&h
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

rdelius

The wooden box is a type 21 I believe for a 2 or 3 box wall set
Robby

Adam

Oh, Lord!  I thought the misuse of the English language was a modern effect of the decline of the education of the kids of America in the past few decades.

But, tell me my eyes don't deceive me, the permanent marking on the box says "TO BE USED ONLY WITH IT'S TELEPHONES"

IT'S?!  That should be ITS!  (IT'S is correct spelling for the contraction of "it is".)
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Adam

Or, perhaps not.  :-)  I just found this on http://www.word-detective.com/back-d.html#its

Until the 19th century, in fact, "it's" was usually considered the possessive of "it" -- in the Fall, a tree shed "it's" leaves. The usual contraction of "it is" was "'tis." Only when "'tis" came to be regarded as an archaic form in the 19th century did the use of "it's" as a contraction of "it is" push out the use of "it's" as a possessive.

This box was made in the late 19th century, so the usage could have still been correct then...
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

paul-f

Thanks for finding that reference, Dave.

That has also bothered me.  I had the same reaction when I first saw that wording.  All the wood boxes marked in that era seem to use "it's."

Tis good to know the truth.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Phonesrfun

I can imagine a guy out in the Western Electric shop having been verbally told what to make for a stamp that would stamp the wood.  He probably jotted it down the best he could, then went back to the shop and did his thing, and probably nobody proofread his work.

-Bill G

Greg G.

But it's correct for its time, is it not?   ::)
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Doug Rose

Quote from: Kenny C on March 14, 2011, 05:37:06 PM
Tis ;) ;D
Kenny....Tisn't tho .... Doug
Kidphone

Kenny C

I thought it's is a conjunction for It & is. So his sentence is "But it's(it is) correct for its (possesive of it) time, is it not?" Maybe im just reading it wrong lol ;D 
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Tom B

It's is the possessive the same as Doug's or Kenny's, for example.
'Tis the English language - bloody complex!  :D
Tom

Kenny C

Tom I dont like sentences that confuse me ;) ;D
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Doug Rose

Quote from: Kenny C on March 14, 2011, 05:57:15 PM
I thought it's is a conjunction for It & is. So his sentence is "But it's(it is) correct for its (possesive of it) time, is it not?" Maybe im just reading it wrong lol ;D 
Kenny...I think you hit it right on my man....Doug
Kidphone

Russ Kirk

Quote from: masstel on March 14, 2011, 02:45:18 PM
Oh, Lord!  I thought the misuse of the English language was a modern effect of the decline of the education of the kids of America in the past few decades.

But, tell me my eyes don't deceive me, the permanent marking on the box says "TO BE USED ONLY WITH IT'S TELEPHONES"

IT'S?!  That should be ITS!  (IT'S is correct spelling for the contraction of "it is".)

I've never noticed that,  good catch.  I instantly looked at my WE 301A and it has the exact same wording.  

Russ....
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Sargeguy

I figured that the 533 was worth about twice that in parts.  I may part it out for use in other projects.  Depends upon how much of that brown stuff is rust and how much is crud.  Those card holders alone usually sell for around $15-20. 

I have been looking for this )almost) exact box for a little while.  I wanted the wall phone version but this one looks to have been unconverted.  Still, the last one of these inscribed patent versions I bid on, which was missing the magneto, bells and switch, but had a few more of the guts, fetched around $100.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409