News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

D1 on ebay UK

Started by Tom B, February 27, 2012, 03:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom B

I spotted this D1 on ebayUK, noting the unusual handset. I know it's an E1, but is it particularly rare?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIQUE-BROWN-BAKELITE-1920S-AMERICAN-E1-VERY-RARE-TELEPHONE-/220958996288
Tom

LarryInMichigan

I wonder if the handset was originally painted.  WE often used brown bakelite handsets when they were painted.  Also, it looks like the dial is a #2.  That phone is worth plenty.

Larry

Tom B

I'm tempted to bid again.....
Tom

twocvbloke

The plastic's multi-coloured patterning reminds me of some recycled plastic products where they just re-heat the plastic and form it into something like a recycling box without re-colouring it, or like foam pads made from bits of waste or recycled foam... :D

Can't say I'm tempted to bid, it's out of my price range already, especially as I have to pay a ransom to the HMRC to let me have my Cortelco 2554 be delivered, meaning after bills and whatnot this week, I'll be in the poorhouse.... :'(

dpaynter1066

Dunno about Telephones but WALNUT BAKELITE  is typically a solid brown,  like chocolate milk say.  This is whats called "Speckled Bakelite"

Both Walnut and Speckled bakelite were used extensively in Antique radios. 

Catalin is usually swirly rather than speckled.   With almost a translucent sheen like Jade for instance.  Its not as durable as bakelite either.

LarryInMichigan

The current price of £42.00 is a bargain for this phone.

Larry

Kenny C

I think this phone is a B1 instead of a D1.

Heres a photo of the phone for future reference
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

LarryInMichigan

Kenny C is correct.  The base is a B1.

Larry

Sargeguy

That's a $200+ phone here in the US.  Base: $75, handset, $75, dial $90.  I had a similar handset which I sold for around $75 if I recall correctly.  Mine did not have a bullet transmitter however. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409