News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bluetooth handset on a 302 base...

Started by jeremylivin, January 09, 2014, 09:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Dan/PantherDoes anyone know where to get an F1 style plastic handset like in the original post. I know you can buy WE500 style, but the F1 is interesting.
Dan

He said in one post before your question that he got it for $20 from geek.com.  From the photo, it is not exactly like a Western Electric F1, but pretty darned close....

-Bill G

jeremylivin

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 11, 2014, 06:24:39 PM
Does anyone know where to get an F1 style plastic handset like in the original post. I know you can buy WE500 style, but the F1 is interesting.
Dan

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/8928/

That's the one I have.
Jeremy Livingston

TelePlay

Quote from: jeremylivin on January 11, 2014, 08:05:51 PM
Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 11, 2014, 06:24:39 PM
Does anyone know where to get an F1 style plastic handset like in the original post. I know you can buy WE500 style, but the F1 is interesting.
Dan

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/8928/

That's the one I have.

And it's currently out of stock.   :-\

Phonesrfun

If only cell phones had better talk quality to begin with . 

I had an X-Link that I wound up giving to my son.  I was not impressed with the voice quality I got on my 302 going through my cell phone.  I suspect these handsets would have the same problem, as do the Bluetooth wireless headsets.  Maybe we are used to Bluetooth headsets sounding like cell phones, and maybe when I put a 302 up to my ear, I expect better sound than I get.   >:(

I also noticed that the link to geek.com said that the handsets were only Bluetooth versions 1 and 2, and some of the comments indicated that their Bluetooth 3 cell phones would not work with the handset.  Maybe they are making an updated version.

-Bill G

TelePlay

Quote from: Phonesrfun on January 11, 2014, 08:25:57 PM
I had an X-Link that I wound up giving to my son.  I was not impressed with the voice quality I got on my 302 going through my cell phone.

It's been 12 years since I worked in the PCS business (in the tower/siting aspect) and I seem to remember that all digital voice is chopped into small segments coded into a digital "sound" to be reintegrated into "sound" when received. Unlike analog transmission when what you say is what is heard to the best of the phone equipment, digital "sound" is basically computer generated on reception from digital bits. Am I right on that?

jeremylivin

The sound via Bluetooth certainly isn't as good as my 60 year old landline at home!
Jeremy Livingston