"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Unconventional uses for a rotary phone

Started by MidCenturyModern, November 25, 2016, 10:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

Quote from: TelePlay on December 04, 2016, 01:08:11 AM
Because of the white plungers? Did all WE Princess phones have clear plungers?

Yes, WE did not use white.
-Bill G

andre_janew

I think Kellogg or ITT may have used white plungers.

MidCenturyModern

Quote from: finkmac on December 01, 2016, 02:34:56 PM
Aw, what's wrong with dial-a-tune? I think that's a great way to play with these things, as they generally don't make amazing communications devices anymore... Whenever I'm using my old carbon-mic phones on confbridges and such people complain that the amplitude/volume level of the microphone is too low.

With an Asterisk PBX you can play MP3 music files pretty easily with just a small amount of configuration.

I am installing Asterisk on a computer running Ubuntu 12.04.

This won't be fun, will it? --  https://youtu.be/wFfzDFxLT6c

I appreciate the help -- I will let you know how it goes.

MidCenturyModern

Quote from: andre_janew on December 04, 2016, 07:04:35 PM
I think Kellogg or ITT may have used white plungers.

It is Northern Electric. Contessa, right?

MidCenturyModern

Quote from: MidCenturyModern on December 16, 2016, 11:38:13 PM
I am installing Asterisk on a computer running Ubuntu 12.04.

This won't be fun, will it? --  https://youtu.be/wFfzDFxLT6c

I appreciate the help -- I will let you know how it goes.

Installation? Not good.

First, I tried the Ubuntu app store and then the above YouTube. Afterwards, in the Terminal app, I typed: asterisk -r. Got a message that Asterisk is already running.

So I killed Asterisk and tried to connect again. Able to restart Asterisk, but can't connect.

Slal

Quote from: 19and41 on December 01, 2016, 02:23:24 PM
I would advertise it on a classified site to trade for say, a radio or something that would do a better job of reproducing music.

Hmmm.... Wonder how much a phone booth would cost.  Might need something a little larger than a telephone. : D

--Bruce

PS:  From other posts, if that few of us using rotary phone, wonder how many dinosaurs like me still using hi-fi from the late 70's...  Maybe best not to answer that question.  : 0 !

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Phonesrfun

I once had the job of a hi-fi technician in about 1971 or so.  Tape recorders, amplifiers, turntables... Tube and solid state.  I don't think I ever worked on anything at that time that had a chip in it.  Those were probably just coming out in the consumer market about then. 
-Bill G

Slal

Quote from: 19and41 on December 25, 2016, 07:12:57 PM
I guess I must predate the dinosaurs.  Instead of late '70's, mine is 70+ .   ;D

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=15337.0

Don't want to hijack here, but wow!  That's an amazing job.  Didn't even know we had an area like that at CRPF. 

On a hi-fi forum (where I sometimes get tech support) guys who can do antique radios or analog tuners are kind of an elite.  Am guessing you need more than just a bench tester & scope before messing around with crystal for example.  ; )

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 25, 2016, 07:25:00 PM
I once had the job of a hi-fi technician in about 1971 or so.  Tape recorders, amplifiers, turntables... Tube and solid state.  I don't think I ever worked on anything at that time that had a chip in it.  Those were probably just coming out in the consumer market about then.

Heh.  In 1971, big time trouble for taking apart my dad's portable reel to reel recorder just to get the motor.  (GI Joe's "Airplane" -- a shoe box-- needed a motor for its propeller.) 

Corporal punishment for destroying Dad's stuff maybe, but the next day we went to "Rat-Shack" and received my first 'kit.'  In hindsight, dear old Dad probably just thinking if his kid is going to tear up stuff for parts, just buy them at the store.  ; )

As for chips, think the 909 has IC in it for meters.  Prefer the bouncing needles, but my other decks are too tall to fit in there.  A nice problem to have.   ;)

Slal

Quote from: MidCenturyModern on November 25, 2016, 10:26:58 AM
Interested in unconventional uses for a conventional phone. Was gifted princess phone. So it would do something -- I connected it to a Talkswitch 480vs PBX. Now, it has a dial tone. Would like to do more. Like the idea of having it play music. Found this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL_RjEwzU7s. Open to other suggestions. Thanks.

A few thoughts come to mind here. 

1.)  Youtube guy should get a studio light.  ; )

2.) This forum is more about collecting phones, restoring and preserving them than 'repurposing.'  Might have better luck at a hi-fi forum.

3.) if post at a hi-fi forum, they will want to see a schematic or wiring diagram.

4.) problems:

a.)  is hook switch your on/off?

b.) rotary or TT is more like a contact switch (like your doorbell) rather than a toggle switch (such as a light switch.)  How you would get it to function as some sort of menu (#5 = song 5 on thumb drive or whatever) beyond my limited ability.

c.) resistance (impedance) & watts (or mA) for your drivers.  AC vs DC current.

All of those questions offer a pretty cool way to learn about Ohm's Law & electronics, but unless it's a kit of some sort-- seems like a lot of effort just to re-purpose.

Hope it works for you though!

--Bruce 

markosjal

Here is my "best Use" for an old rotary phone

Xlink or AT&T Home Phone Adapter (ZTE WF720)
AE 880 Speakerphone
It makes the "Retro Mobile Phone"
Kind of like this!

Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

markosjal

Quote from: finkmac on December 01, 2016, 02:34:56 PM
Aw, what's wrong with dial-...Whenever I'm using my old carbon-mic phones on confbridges and such people complain that the amplitude/volume level of the microphone is too low...
Electret condensor mic that is a direct replacement for a carbon mic
https://www.payphone.com/Standard-Transmitter.html
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

MidCenturyModern

Yes, a studio light, or film in black & white, if he really wants that noir feel.

About the YouTube, I would rather not solder a speaker jack and prefer to not alter the phone, since it works as is. The trick is getting software or something to work with it. 

Seems like a lot of effort just to re-purpose?  I don't want to invest in a LAN line.

Yes, getting the rotary respond like a menu is probably getting too cute, especially to start. 

The phone has a dial tone and that is a good starting place.

Thanks, Bruce!

Quote from: Slal on December 27, 2016, 07:34:15 PM
A few thoughts come to mind here. 

1.)  Youtube guy should get a studio light.  ; )

2.) This forum is more about collecting phones, restoring and preserving them than 'repurposing.'  Might have better luck at a hi-fi forum.

3.) if post at a hi-fi forum, they will want to see a schematic or wiring diagram.

4.) problems:

a.)  is hook switch your on/off?

b.) rotary or TT is more like a contact switch (like your doorbell) rather than a toggle switch (such as a light switch.)  How you would get it to function as some sort of menu (#5 = song 5 on thumb drive or whatever) beyond my limited ability.

c.) resistance (impedance) & watts (or mA) for your drivers.  AC vs DC current.

All of those questions offer a pretty cool way to learn about Ohm's Law & electronics, but unless it's a kit of some sort-- seems like a lot of effort just to re-purpose.

Hope it works for you though!

--Bruce

andy1702

Quote from: MidCenturyModern on December 21, 2016, 10:49:23 PM
Installation? Not good.

First, I tried the Ubuntu app store and then the above YouTube. Afterwards, in the Terminal app, I typed: asterisk -r. Got a message that Asterisk is already running.

So I killed Asterisk and tried to connect again. Able to restart Asterisk, but can't connect.

I couldn't make Asterisk work either. It's hopeless! In the end I found a Linux distro called Astlinux, which you just install and it works straight away without any problems.

Andy
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.