News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another interesting but mystifying find from Carl

Started by carl, September 08, 2009, 06:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carl

Can someone tell me what this little knob is supposed to do? I recently acquired this nice phone that does not need any
adjusting,since it works properly...oh! The item in question actually disconnects the phone when pushed down.It's spring loaded and
does its job,then comes right back up into place,but I'm thinking there must be something else that the phone company had in mind
for it.  Best,Carl NYC

McHeath

This is a WE model DED/5000, also known as the End Of The World unit, and they were only issued to NORAD command centers.  That button originally sent a Flash/Emergency signal to the nuclear missile silos in North Dakota to indicate that NORAD had been vaporized and they needed to initiate launch sequencing.  The thinking was that the last thing one of the unfortunate staff at NORAD would do would be to press that button, thus initiating MAD.  To that end one staff member always had one finger on that button during their shifts, which lasted 30 minutes, so they needed 48 men per day to rotate on the schedule holding their finger on the button. 

Or something like that... ;)

carl

Live and learn.Thank you very much.The phone rings really really loud,too.Again,thanks for the info.Here's a shot of the whole unit.Carl

bingster

McHeath is such a trouble maker. ;D

That's a two-line phone.  With the knob turned one way, the first line is active, with the knob turned the other way, the second line is active.  That's why there are two phone numbers written on the card.  There's a clear plastic knob that's supposed to fit on the white spindle, but it's gone missing.
= DARRIN =

The Operator

Ever get the urge to call the number on the dial card and say "Hey, I have your phone."

Dan

If you look on the back, it should say WE 510 or WE511. Look at this link

http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

carl

I think that's right on target,as it seems the top Is missing,but turns,and it says 5hf and 1-69.The other numbers may be inside but I'm
going to leave it intact.Again,to the crew,thanks for the info,Carl S

Dan/Panther

McHeath;
Did thet 30 minute shift include 2-15 minute breaks ?
D/P
What about lunch ?

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bwanna

donna

HobieSport

-Matt

McHeath

Well of course it was men bwanna, this was the olde daze after all.   :)

D/P, I think the break schedule was one 10 minute break every 15 minutes.