"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Siemens W28 or something else?

Started by umicah, April 06, 2016, 04:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Quote from: rdelius on April 13, 2016, 09:44:27 AM
I would not expect that a telephone from poorer countries would still have all origional parts.I doubt it would have been used as long in Germany.I have had telephones from Eastern Europe,China and Cuba. They used whatever parts they could get to keep them working.You were lucky to have telephone service

That's a good point.  Poorer countries imported old equipment that the West did not want to use any more, fixed them up, and used them.  I believe many step switches from the US and elsewhere ended up in places like China to get a second lease on life.

Matilo Telephones

Quote from: umicah on April 13, 2016, 08:02:41 AM
Well, I have no experience, but my first impression is that maybe the seller got a lot of parts and merged them together.

He had the cable replaced, so maybe he rwconstructed the whole phone from several parts.
Anyway, I bought the phone "as is" so I will ask him, where did he find the phone.
I dont know if I will have a legitimate ansewr though, since he sold me this as a W48 . Ηe also signed this it on paper as guarantee :p

You think is an SA28, or a greek reproduction of the 60s?
Quote from: umicah on April 13, 2016, 08:02:41 AM
Well, I have no experience, but my first impression is that maybe the seller got a lot of parts and merged them together.

He had the cable replaced, so maybe he rwconstructed the whole phone from several parts.
Anyway, I bought the phone "as is" so I will ask him, where did he find the phone.
I dont know if I will have a legitimate ansewr though, since he sold me this as a W48 . Ηe also signed this it on paper as guarantee :p

You think is an SA28, or a greek reproduction of the 60s?

Well, what do you mean by SA28? That is a German designation. Siemens themselves would not have used it outside Germany.
I think it is a Greek version, because of the unusual position of the w2 terminal.
I was either made for Greece, perhaps by S&H in Germany, or made in Greece itself.
Here in Holland a version of the W28 was produced well into the 60s by Heemaf.
I do not think many parts were changed. Only the cap for sure, and perhaps the capacitor.
I you look on ebey for Greek telephones you see similar examples.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

unbeldi

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on April 12, 2016, 05:13:56 PM
I could not find any clear reference to the beginning of telephone production in Greece by Siemens, other than that it only received a code as a production facility after 1950.

I was in touch with a Greek collector recently and brought up this subject matter.
He told me that the Siemens location in Thessaloniki indeed manufactured equipment in the 1920s already, but that they also imported others from the parent in Germany.
The unit in that city is known as Siemens Hellas, but I don't know if that was already the case that early.