News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SC Certificate Joe Kittley

Started by cloyd, July 05, 2016, 12:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloyd

I found this framed certificate at an antique store in Marshalltown, Iowa (my hometown).  Joe must have been pretty proud of it considering it is framed.  He lived at 110 11th Ave. NW Rochester, MN.  Does anyone know anything about Joe?  I have no connection to this certificate except that I bought it.  If someone wants it, please let me know in a p.m.

Tina Loyd
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

jsowers

Stromberg-Carlson made phones as well as radios, military gear and amplifiers back in the day. Their radios were sometimes high end units made to compete with Zenith and RCA Victor. Their phones are quite unusual and not always as elegantly designed as WE or AE, but still not anywhere close to the worst. They were installed by independent telcos all across the USA. S-C was based in Rochester, NY.
Jonathan

rdelius

Rochester  NY .Harris comm is in some of the old factory buildings.I would have ranked SC radios higher  in quality than most would have ranked the telephones lower than ITT  or AE.They were part of General Dynanimics later.Was in the TV business and also broadcasting.Visited the studio site a few years ago. A 1940s time warp of a building.There was never any money to remodel it

jsowers

Quote from: rdelius on July 05, 2016, 03:49:27 PM
Rochester  NY .Harris comm is in some of the old factory buildings.I would have ranked SC radios higher  in quality than most would have ranked the telephones lower than ITT  or AE.They were part of General Dynanimics later.Was in the TV business and also broadcasting.Visited the studio site a few years ago. A 1940s time warp of a building.There was never any money to remodel it

Thanks--I got my Rochesters mixed up since the guy in the certificiate was from Minnesota. I corrected my post. I agree their radios were better than their phones.
Jonathan

Fabius

Joe should be an easy find. Call the reference section of Rochester Minn library they may be able to check the local phone books and business directories. Also the local paper may have an archive. A quick Google search that the address is a house in a residential area. Joe is listed in the 1940 US Census:

Joseph M Kittley in the 1940 Census

1940 census for Joseph M Kittley

Age 49, born abt 1891   
Birthplace  New York   
Gender Male 
Race White 
Home in 1940
110 11th St N W
Rochester,
Olmsted, Minnesota 

Household Members

Head
Joseph M Kittley   49

Wife
Kathyne M Kittley   43

Daughter
Kathryne J Kittley   17

Son
William J Kittley  14

Son
Robert F Kittley  11

Daughter
Marilyn D Kittley  8

The son William J died last year which may explain why thus certificate came on the marker.

All the information received through the power of the internet in less then 10 minutes.

Should be an easy job to find out about his business.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905