"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Blue 302 - Now you see it, now you don't

Started by easytiger, October 28, 2010, 09:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Doug;
My first thought was the phone looks as if it's never been connected.
Great deal.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dan/Panther on October 29, 2010, 02:52:18 PM
Doug;
My first thought was the phone looks as if it's never been connected.
Great deal.
D/P
thanks Dan....I will post pictures when it arrives. I more than a bit nervous as this comes 3000 miles across the country to me....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I received the Blue 302 today and I AM THRILLED!!! It in absolutely perfect condition. The only thing the matter is the spades are off of the line cord. That's it! MINT! It looks like it just came off the factory line. No scratches at all and what a shine. Cloth cords are in wonderful condtion. I was very fortunate to be in the right place at the right time. twice. It is amazing this all took place because we took a chance on a wicker Victrola at a yard sale. ....Doug
Kidphone

Jester

That one is quite the looker, Doug!  Congratulations!!!!  Mine didn't look like that when I got it, but I'm keeping it anyway! ;D  Again, a really great find!
Stephen

ESalter

Absolutely beautiful!  ...maybe someday...  ...if I win the lottery.  I'm curious what your plans are for it?  Pack it up and "preserve" it, put it in a display case, hook it up and use it?  If I somehow got a phone like that I'd want to have it out where I can admire it, but at the same time I'd be scared to have it out in the open.

--Eric

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jester on October 30, 2010, 06:00:30 PM
That one is quite the looker, Doug!  Congratulations!!!!  Mine didn't look like that when I got it, but I'm keeping it anyway! ;D  Again, a really great find!
thanks Stephen...I am more than happy with it...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: ESalter on October 30, 2010, 06:19:14 PM
Absolutely beautiful!  ...maybe someday...  ...if I win the lottery.  I'm curious what your plans are for it?  Pack it up and "preserve" it, put it in a display case, hook it up and use it?  If I somehow got a phone like that I'd want to have it out where I can admire it, but at the same time I'd be scared to have it out in the open.

--Eric
Eric...It is on display in my collection. All my phones are on display and not packed up. These guys deserve to be seen. It is a working phone, but it is not connected to DT. My 302s are complete and I am a happy man. Luck had everything to do with it...Doug
Kidphone

KeithB

It certainly is beautiful Doug.  I'd say you and the former owner who now has the Victrola are probably both rather jubilant with the deal.  It's one of those almost-never-in-a-lifetime strokes of fate, and two people both benefited from it.  ;D

HarrySmith

Very nice! Congrats on completing your collection! Quite an accomplshment! Do you have any pictures under the hood? Is there a dial card in it?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Adam

Truly a thing of beauty.

Why is this color so rare for a 302?
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

cchaven

wow..that's one beautiful  302!  That is an awesome color...congratulations!  Are the insides as clean as the outside?

Jeff

Doug Rose

thanks folks, I am relieved that it made its prompt journey across the country in the same condition that it left AZ in. I'm like a little kid at Christmas, I can't stop looking at it. The seller really did an outstanding job packing it. When I saw the mailman coming up the walk with it, I thought, Sh*t!,  my phone won't be here until Monday. The double box was huge, with foam packing all inside to protect the second box. He must have used a roll of bubble wrap. I got a little frustrated trying to free my prize from the rolls of bubble, but only just a little frustrated....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: masstel on October 30, 2010, 08:49:29 PM
Truly a thing of beauty.

Why is this color so rare for a 302?
Paul F is better equipped with knowledge to answer this, but as I remember out of all the color 302s that were made, 52% were Ivory down to 8% which were Blue. My figures are probably off, but I know that the Ivory are the most common as many more were produced and the Blue the least common as very few were produced. Throw in how fragile the thermoplastic is and these are very desirable sets to find almost 60 years later....Doug
Kidphone

Dan

Beautiful. How tight is it on the base? I get paranoid about those things "popping a corner" but this is so pristine I would be affraid to relieve the inside front corners.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Doug Rose

Dan....I have not and will not open this for just that very reason. There appears to be plenty of room on the corners as there is not shrinkage at all. I could only imagine the fit I would throw if I damaged this beauty. It is on my shelf and staying there. It really is in "like new" condition....Doug
Kidphone