News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Black Kellog Banjo on Ebay Now

Started by LarryInMichigan, April 22, 2012, 03:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

If you have been looking for a Kellogg banjo phone, now may be your chance to get one for a reasonable price:
Ebay Item #160787527941

LarryInMichigan

Doug Rose

I was the Lucky guy who got it. Thanks Larry. This is in utterly amazing condition. Bakelite handset was in tough shape, but cleaned up very nice with my fine steel wool-Noxon-Avon SSS treatment. The one issue I found is the clear finger wheel has a scratch on it. I tried my last remaining NOS WE open face fingerwheel and it would not snap on. I tried a regular clear WE fingerwheel, also a no go. I didn't want to force it so I installed the cleaned up Kellogg clear finger wheel. Very strange, but they are not interchangeable although they look the same. As you know, I am not a big 500 set guy, but I love the lines on this beauty. Along with the AE 80 I pictured a few weeks ago, I could be in trouble!! Pardon the pictures, but my normal outside picture taking area was stained yesterday by Jan, so I am on the covered front porch and had to use a flash....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I have had good results removing scratches in clear finger wheels with Micro-Mesh sanding.

I have a black Kellogg banjo which I bought for about the same price on ebay a while back after a forum member told me about it.

Larry

Doug Rose

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on April 29, 2012, 10:15:59 AM
I have had good results removing scratches in clear finger wheels with Micro-Mesh sanding.

I have a black Kellogg banjo which I bought for about the same price on ebay a while back after a forum member told me about it.

Larry
thanks again Larry!! I'll give it a try...Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Nice looking phone, Doug.  I think originally the black Banjos had a black, metal finger wheel.  Like the Western counter parts, the colored sets had the clear, Lucite wheels.  Maybe a field refurbishment. 

Here's one I refurbished a few years ago.  The handset cord (among other things) is a replacement.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on April 29, 2012, 01:00:29 PM
Nice looking phone, Doug.  I think originally the black Banjos had a black, metal finger wheel.  Like the Western counter parts, the colored sets had the clear, Lucite wheels.  Maybe a field refurbishment. 

Here's one I refurbished a few years ago.  The handset cord (among other things) is a replacement.
Thanks Dennis....I have a few nice #6-7 Black metal finger wheels. I'll swap it out.....Doug
Kidphone

Nilsog

That's an interesting dialcard... does it say what I think it says???
Ken

Doug Rose

It does......I had a few of these I recently found that someone had made up fro me in the past. It stands the test of time ;) ....Doug
Kidphone

kleenax

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on April 22, 2012, 03:47:25 PM
If you have been looking for a Kellogg banjo phone, now may be your chance to get one for a reasonable price:
Ebay Item #160787527941

I think that I have a few of these downstairs (somewhere) that I would sell. It's a banana box full of them, but I think MOST of them have the later "G1" style handset as opposed to the "gumdrop" handset as I call it.

Let me dig them out and I will put them in the "Classified" section here (there is a section like that, yes?)
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC