News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Embury Cold Blast full sized Lanternin near mint condition

Started by Doug Rose, August 06, 2017, 08:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I found this Embury no 60 a few weeks ago. Paint is great except for the green around the glass holder. Repainted? Glass is cracked. Not sure if its common or desirable....Doug
Kidphone

AL_as_needed

Is that a lime green peeking through? If so then there is a very real possibility it was repainted. Not sure about Embury lanterns themselves, but I know that the company Embury was bought out by dietz sometime after WWII  (1952?). They continued to make lanterns at their factory with Embury tooling (in the case of the No 40 traffic gaurd) but the Embury name was phased out. My best guess is that that is a pre war lantern from the 20s that has been retouched a few times. Not claiming any sound wisdom here, but may be worth seeing whats under the paint.
TWinbrook7

Doug Rose

just paint on it
Kidphone

AL_as_needed

If that was just on the surface, then there is a very real chance that is the original paint. Embury lanterns were quite popular in their day and gave Dietz a run for their money. Not sure about value, not e ven going to guess. I will say though that given the rise and fall of embury (from the late 19-teens to 1952) they are not as common as Dietz. A nice lantern to be sure.
TWinbrook7

TelePlay

Quote from: AL_as_needed on August 06, 2017, 02:54:24 PM
Embury lanterns were quite popular in their day and gave Dietz a run for their money. Not sure about value, not e ven going to guess. I will say though that given the rise and fall of embury (from the late 19-teens to 1952) they are not as common as Dietz. A nice lantern to be sure.

Feuerhand (German), CT Ham, Embury and maybe a few other lanterns makers were in competition with Dietz.

Embury was purchased by Dietz in 1953. Have no idea of what that meant other than acquiring their sales contacts (customers) and distribution network.

The last Dietz No 2 D-Lite that I bought for $19 total came from a woman who collects Embury lanterns. That surprised me. Being harder to find, they might be more collectible, worth more, especially in that condition.

Doug Rose

Kidphone