News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

45A Signal for Coin Operator Training

Started by Babybearjs, March 30, 2016, 02:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I came acrtoss these photos and was wondering what this was used for and if TCI has any info on it.... interesting unit.
John

twocvbloke

I would hazard a guess at it being a dialtone generator (or at the very least, a tone generator of some description)...

Jack Ryan

It looks like the coin gong and transmitters from a three slot payphone.

Perhaps it's a demonstration of the sounds and the microphone pickup as the solenoids appear to be arranged to ding the gongs.

But what it really is I don't know.

Jack

LarryInMichigan

The diagram looks old, but the actual parts look rather modern, like 1970s or later.  I have no idea what it is.

Larry

unbeldi

The 654A transmitter was indeed used in coin collectors to transmit the sound of the coin gongs back to the operator.

Most likely used in the central office.  Perhaps to calibrate payphone installations.

The two solenoids have independent connections to strike the two gongs in the unit, with a common return.
The transmitters are connected in series across the circuit connections, with a fixed and an adjustable resistance each in parallel to the transmitters.

The unit is encased in wood to shield the gongs and microphones from resonances with external sound or objects.

So, this dual signal could be used for many remote event notifications. It needs a telephone line, a power source for the solenoids, and sensor switches for activation.

654A Transmitter:  BSP C18.059 i2 6001

unbeldi

Ok, update:

The No. 45A signal was used as part of  2B operator student training equipment.  From the NE card catalog.

Babybearjs

Training equipment.... interesting.... wonder what else they could be used for?
John

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on March 30, 2016, 01:17:24 PM
Ok, update:

The No. 45A signal was used as part of  2B operator student training equipment.  From the NE card catalog.

Training to recognise coin deposits in payphones presumably.

[Edit - sorry, it's in the subject now]

Jack

Babybearjs

well, since payphones are pretty much extinct.... what could this be used for now?
John

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Babybearjs on March 31, 2016, 12:01:43 AM
well, since payphones are pretty much extinct.... what could this be used for now?

I ask myself the same thing about old telephones - and old radios - and old cars - and old motorbikes and...

Jack

unbeldi

it would make a very charming call-waiting indicator.
Or simply a nice signal to give you an excuse to escape the never ending calls from your mother-in-law least favorite frequent caller; got to go dear...

Babybearjs

well, whoever got it paid over $200 for it.... my high bid was for $100.... passed that up but quick! man.... do people like to get into bidding wars!
John

poplar1

Quote from: Babybearjs on April 08, 2016, 10:04:50 PM
well, whoever got it paid over $200 for it.... my high bid was for $100.... passed that up but quick! man.... do people like to get into bidding wars!

Would you please list the item number? I don't think anyone will be offended since the auction is over.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Here it is . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Western-Electric-Central-Office-45A-SIGNAL-/351690391698

5 bidders, 12 bids, won by w***e ( 1714 ) with his first and only bid being a snipe 5 seconds before the auction ended.

Babybearjs

John