News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What country made the first telephone

Started by Kenny C, May 13, 2010, 11:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

Wha was the first country U.S.A brittan or what?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

Now there is a can of worms just waiting to be opened......

I believe that several inventors from the US and Europe were all working on it at pretty much the same time.  Most of the world jumped on the same bandwagon as the US, and there is a great debate that still goes on as to whether A.G. Bell had done some sneaky things to get his patent designated as first.  Argueably, Elisha Gray was at work on perhaps a better transmitter than Bell.  Edison and a guy named Blake were in there swinging too.  The real crux was to get a transmitter that would work beyond a faint whisper.  Bell's first commercial product was something that today would not be acceptable, but hey, you have to start somewhere.

Most of the electrical theory and technology of the time had been developed by Europeans.  It was little more than theory, and few knew how to put those theories to work in a practical way.  One thing is for sure:  Once the telephone was a reality, there were great advances in putting the electrical theories to work over a very short period of time.

There have been many debates and books written about the things that went into getting patents granted in 1876.
-Bill G

Kenny C

this hit me as I was scared  to death by a telephone ringing this morning. Don't ask why cause I do not know. lol
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

OK, since you said "don't ask", the devil in me now wants to ask.....Why??

Oh never mind, I'm just being a smart a**.

-Bill G

Kenny C

just laying there sleeping 7o'clock RRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG my heart stopped for about 3 seconds picked up the handset and

Dad:
Has mom Left for work

Me:
Yes

Dad:
ok

Me:
Ok.
That was the first time I was mad at the person who invinted the telephone. I thought A. Bell then I  wanted to make sure I should be mad at him. I am not mad any more just going to turn the ringer down tonight.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Greg G.

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on May 14, 2010, 12:39:31 AM
just laying there sleeping 7o'clock RRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG ... That was the first time I was mad at the person who invinted the telephone. I thought A. Bell then I  wanted to make sure I should be mad at him. I am not mad any more just going to turn the ringer down tonight.

Just be glad his name was Alexander Graham Bell and not Alexander Graham SIREN!  Instead of the phone ringing early in the morning, it would "go off".
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Briny must have set his security system off recently....

Just to add some more complication....AG Bell was Scottish but living in Nova Scotia (New Scottland) Canada and experimenting in both NS and the USA....

Terry

Phonesrfun

Very True!

Although GPO will probably want to point out that he was from Scotland.
-Bill G

AET

Not to get off topic, but you mentioned sirens. 

We have an air-raid siren, just about next to my living room window and it always makes me jump.  I got picked on, for calling it an air-raid siren and not a tornado alarm. 
- Tom

GusHerb

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on May 14, 2010, 12:39:31 AM
just laying there sleeping 7o'clock RRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG my heart stopped for about 3 seconds picked up the handset and

Dad:
Has mom Left for work

Me:
Yes

Dad:
ok

Me:
Ok.
That was the first time I was mad at the person who invinted the telephone. I thought A. Bell then I  wanted to make sure I should be mad at him. I am not mad any more just going to turn the ringer down tonight.

That's specifically why I disconnect the ringer to whatever phone goes in my bedroom. lol ;D
Jonathan

Dennis Markham

Having traveled through southern Ontario, Canada several times I have passed through Brantford, Ontario.  They call it the "Telephone City" because Alexander Graham Bell conducted the first long distance telephone call from there to Paris in 1876.  It is also the birth place of hockey great Wayne Gretzky.

Wikipedia...........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brantford

gpo706

Ask any Scotsman who invented the phone and you'll get the same reply!

Some other stuff we apparently came up with, anaesthetics, Bakelite - BAKELITE!, Buicks, Penicillin, Bank Of England, fax machines, pnuematic tyres, tarmacadam, the US Navy and unforunately golf.

Also Elvis and Johnny Cash are "claimed"!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_inventions_and_discoveries

My dad discovered my mum and they then invented me...

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

McHeath

Scottish games are always amusing, bizarre feats of strength, insanely difficult tasks, or flat out deadly.  (caber toss, golf, weight over the bar)   :)

Growing up with a Scottish last name meant our family endlessly did crazy "sports" that often resulted in broken bones, crashed vehicles, concussions and stitches.  It wasn't fun unless someone was getting hurt. ;)

gpo706

Thats why a Welshman invented the NHS McHeath!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"