"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hello to CRPF!

Started by Holtzer-Cabot, July 04, 2016, 10:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holtzer-Cabot

Here is the other black 500, from 1961.
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

Holtzer-Cabot

And finally, here is my 1903 Stromberg-Carlson candlestick with oak ringer box! I hope you all enjoyed looking at my collection!!
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

19and41

Mighty nice collection!  Welcome and good luck!  (Show us your Radios in the off topic section. :D)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: 19and41 on July 05, 2016, 09:49:24 PM
Mighty nice collection!  Welcome and good luck!  (Show us your Radios in the off topic section. :D)
Thanks! And I will! It sure is something that i'm only fourteen and I have all this stuff and know what it is!

WEBellSystemChristian

While we're on the subject of tractors, my Dad has a 1950 8N. He bought it restored 18 years ago, and it has worked extremely well mowing, snow plowing, burying cable, powering a wood splitter, etc, ever since. For a 66-year-old tractor, it sure doesn't want to quit!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on July 06, 2016, 07:48:28 PM
While we're on the subject of tractors, my Dad has a 1950 8N. He bought it restored 18 years ago, and it has worked extremely well mowing, snow plowing, burying cable, powering a wood splitter, etc, ever since. For a 66-year-old tractor, it sure doesn't want to quit!
No it doesn't! These old tractors and telephones and basically anything else from the period were built to last! My neighbor has a 9N. I was driving it and it still works great! Fires right up!

19and41

Quote from: Holtzer-Cabot on July 05, 2016, 09:56:43 PM
Thanks! And I will! It sure is something that i'm only fourteen and I have all this stuff and know what it is!

I too had the knowledge of the old things when I was very young.  One has to learn the delicate art of tact when discussing things with the older folks.  I used to get them provoked when they found I already knew their bits of acquired knowledge. :)  I then learned to let them teach me the things they wanted to share with me.  It does my heart good to see a youngster keeping the older technologies alive. 

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: 19and41 on July 06, 2016, 08:04:57 PM
I too had the knowledge of the old things when I was very young.  One has to learn the delicate art of tact when discussing things with the older folks.  I used to get them provoked when they found I already knew their bits of acquired knowledge. :)  I then learned to let them teach me the things they wanted to share with me.  It does my heart good to see a youngster keeping the older technologies alive.
Yeah! And I will always keep it alive and well! And that's how it works with me too when I'm talking to the older folks. :)

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Holtzer-Cabot on July 06, 2016, 08:01:03 PM
No it doesn't! These old tractors and telephones and basically anything else from the period were built to last! My neighbor has a 9N. I was driving it and it still works great! Fires right up!
Anything built to last and built as simple as possible will last forever. Phones are a great example.

My family partially owns some land in southwestern Wisconsin. Out there, in a garage, is a 9N that I've fallen in love with! It hasn't run for 30 years, I haven't even seen it in 2 years, but I think it would be really cool to get restored. Apparently they were a little less simplistic than the 8N (harder to maintain) but I wouldn't care. I love the Dark Gray paint scheme and skinnier tires.
Christian Petterson

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on July 06, 2016, 08:31:29 PM
Anything built to last and built as simple as possible will last forever. Phones are a great example.

My family partially owns some land in southwestern Wisconsin. Out there, in a garage, is a 9N that I've fallen in love with! It hasn't run for 30 years, I haven't even seen it in 2 years, but I think it would be really cool to get restored. Apparently they were a little less simplistic than the 8N (harder to maintain) but I wouldn't care. I love the Dark Gray paint scheme and skinnier tires.
Exactly! And I do too! :) My neighbor owns a Morton barn next to my house, full of old tractors! I do live on a partial farm area. He told me once that there used to be a W.E. 500 installed there, but it has since been removed. There is tons of old electrical equipment and tractors and stuff in there! :)

WEBellSystemChristian

For posterity (if anyone else cares about our Tractor Talk) here's an example of an early 9N. I like the aluminum grilles. Very stately.

(I don't consider this thread hijacking, just breaking in a new member! ;) )
Christian Petterson

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on July 06, 2016, 10:08:08 PM
For posterity (if anyone else cares about our Tractor Talk) here's an example of a 9N.

(I don't consider this thread hijacking, just breaking in a new member! ;) )
Nice example of a 9N! :)