News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Introducing myself and my telephones

Started by ritchie, November 02, 2010, 09:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Ritchie....use some car wax, apply it lightly like you would on your car, try to avoid any area the wax will get caught in. Rub the wax on the paint like you are trying to get something stuck on your car and the paint should come right off. Bakelite is very resilient. Wax this up and make it shine.If your wife as any AvonSkin so Soft around, apply some after you finish waxing it. This baby will shine!! Nice hit on your first try, in black bakelite this is a beauty. In brown you have a winner....Welcome to the Forum....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Quote from: ritchie on November 03, 2010, 12:49:49 AM
I'm going to wait till I get more experience with Bakelite before I tackle it. I'm not in a hurry, the paint has been there a long time, I guess it wont hurt being on a little longer.

I can take a pic of the phone in natural light without a flash If that helps the Mahogany/Walnut question.

A lot of times you can remove paint speckes with a 409 type cleaner. Your fingernails ,acloth and a bit of elbow grease.  The paint speckels are typically old house paint and is lead based so wash well before eating finger foods.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

Quote from: NorthernMan on November 04, 2010, 12:06:53 AM
That phone of yours is from the St. Vital area of Winnipeg (Alpine exchange)
For some reason there was quite a few of these in Manitoba .... must have been a sale on at the time. :D
If you want to sell it for a nice profit let me know. The last few have sold in the $800-$1100 range.

Hi NorthernMan and welcome to the forum. Are you in Manitoba as well? Thanks for all the info on Ritchies phone. When I first saw the "ALpine" Exchange dial tag I thought it might have been from here in Vancouver but the tag is different looking than any that BC Tel used. We have an "ALpine" Exchange just east of downtown Vancouver.

So how bad is the damage to yours? Did you get all the pieces and get it somewhat back together? We need pictures!!

Terry (in Vancouver)

NorthernMan

Hello AE collector. Well the damage is on a back corner ... and i never thought you could repair it but after reading these forums i may follow some of the repair advice. The phone has not been taken apart since i got it . For one thing the screws won't come out and secondly i am afraid more pieces will break off. But tomorrow i may just man up and rip it apart and post some pics.

BTW ... did anybody see that mohogany brown AE handpiece on a black relay box of some kind. It sold for $67 on Ebay.

AE_Collector

Quote from: NorthernMan on November 04, 2010, 01:14:25 AM

BTW ... did anybody see that mohogany brown AE handpiece on a black relay box of some kind. It sold for $67 on Ebay.

I think I was watching that....the auction completed this afternoon/evening. Was $30 something but got sniped to $67 or $69 in the last seconds. Only thing is, I didn't notice that it was a mahogany handset, just thought it was black bakelite with chrome bands. I've got to start paying more attention!!

Terry

ritchie

Quote from: NorthernMan on November 04, 2010, 12:06:53 AM
Nice find ... that is a beautiful phone. I have one just like it except it has black bands . My phone has an unfortunate history, in 1975 i removed it from a subscribers house ... it already had a crack right around the handpiece. I knew this was a special phone because of its colour plus the fact i had never seen an AE34 before . And so on carrying everything out to the truck just at the last moment i felt it slipping from my grasp ..... I heard a sickening breaking sound ... yup the whole corner was smashed . And so everytime i walk by that phone (i have it on display) i cringe and relive that moment. :(

That phone of yours is from the St. Vital area of Winnipeg (Alpine exchange)
The tag on the inside has the initials H.T.  If i remember correctly his first name was Harry . He was a shop person at the Manitoba Telephone System ..... former monopoly and crown corporation of Manitoba. The other persons name on the work order i believe is the homeowners name ....  although not %100 positive on that.
For some reason there was quite a few of these in Manitoba .... must have been a sale on at the time. :D
If you want to sell it for a nice profit let me know. The last few have sold in the $800-$1100 range.

Hi NorthernMan,

Thanks for the info, it's nice to have a phone with a bit of known history.

That phone still is in the St.Vital area of Winnipeg  :)  It hasn't gone too far. And it's still connected to the Line.

Makes the cat's jump and my niece had never heard a real phone rrrrrrriiiiinnnggg before.

Sorry About your phone and I really hope the info on this forum can help you repair it.

NorthernMan

AE collector here are a couple of pics of my own brown AE34 ........ even though i dropped it 35 years ago i still blame AE for not designing this thing for easy carrying like the AE40 . FYI : My motto is to always deny responsibility for my own actions. ;) LOL

P.S.     I don't think that roadmap is fixable.

ritchie

OUCH! I see what you mean. If it was black you could epoxy and paint. But it being brown and walnut patterned, nothing could repair the "swirls"

AE_Collector

Well, it could have been worse. I'm glad you didn't toss it away after it got busted. I wonder if some clear glue or something could be carefully worked into the cracks to make them a bit less noticible. It still looks real nice in my opinion.

I only have two colored 40's, a red one and an ivory one. Both have issues and are far from perfect but they were both real bargains.  Barring finds like Ritchie's $100 AE34, I am content to give the unloved ones a good home.

So if your AE34 had the built in handhold that the one in the following thread has, you wouldn't have dropped it?
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3667.0

Terry

mienaichizu

OUCH OUCH!! sad to see those crack on your brown AE34
this is my first time to see a brown AE34

JorgeAmely

Quote from: ae_collector on November 05, 2010, 11:30:51 PM
... I only have two colored 40's, a red one and an ivory one...

You have a red AE40? Ummmm .... Did you need someone to fix your Dawn Gray AE80?  ;)
Jorge

AE_Collector

Quote from: JorgeAmely on November 09, 2010, 11:59:21 AM
Quote from: ae_collector on November 05, 2010, 11:30:51 PM
... I only have two colored 40's, a red one and an ivory one...

You have a red AE40? Ummmm .... Did you need someone to fix your Dawn Gray AE80?  ;)

Jorge:

I need someone to fix my red 40 TOO! I can send the red 40 and the gray 80 to you so you can restore them for me, take pictures of them out on your garden wall and then mail them back to me! May as well send the ivory 40 as well, it needs some work too....

Terry

JorgeAmely

I was thinking more along the lines of making your AE80 look like in the attached photo in exchange for a red AE40.   ;D ;D ;D

PS: (ducking from phone thrown at me!)
Jorge

AE_Collector

Quote from: JorgeAmely on November 09, 2010, 04:20:05 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of making your AE80 look like in the attached photo in exchange for a red AE40.   ;D ;D ;D

PS: (ducking from phone thrown at me!)

I know you were! Hey, that looks like my Dawn Gray AE80....

Terry

JorgeAmely

Jorge