News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

andre_janew's telephone collection

Started by andre_janew, January 22, 2015, 07:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andre_janew

So, some areas may have seen modular sets as early as 1972, but most areas didn't see such sets until the late 1970s, like maybe 1977 or so. 

andre_janew

My phone arrived earlier today.  I have added a 4 prong plug and a piece for the center of the dial.  I tried to get the paint off with a paper towel and rubbing alcohol.  Paint is still there.

andre_janew

Looking at the ringer, I see that it has a 1 54 date on it.  Looks to be in good shape.  No slop in ringer adjustment.

andre_janew

I'm looking at the handset cord.  There is a 72 on the restraint.  You guys must be really good or really lucky.

andre_janew

Now a look at the line cord.  There is a 73 on the restraint of this cord.  None of you said anything about this cord as to whether or not it was original.

andre_janew

The case has clear plungers.  On the inside I see a 66.  It has a 1966 case.  Some would say I'm lucky due to the fact that 1950s plastic has a bad stench.

andre_janew

I am curious as to what year the transmitter and receiver are from.  Looks like the transmitter is from 1954 and the receiver is from 1959.  It may look like 1950, but I think the tail of the 9 is obscured by part of the transmitter.

andre_janew

Right in the center of the dial is a little something I bought for the phone the day after I bought it.  It arrived the same time as the phone.  It looks like it may be as old as the phone.

andre_janew

Now for a look at the other side of the dial.  It appears to be a #7 dial.  It has a date on it of 1 54.  It is attached to a 3 point bracket with 3 machine screws.

HarrySmith

You really need to work on your pictures! The elements can barely be seen, never mind the dates. The one that is supposed to be the case date is totally blurred, cannot tell what it is.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RotarDad

You've got a fairly standard refurbished phone there.  You are fortunate that the shop left the original dial and ringer in place - often both of those were swapped as well.  I will often just polish the paint drops off as I use the Novus 2 to shine up the shell. Novus will cut through quickly most of the time.  Another great product for cleaning dirt and paint off is Krud Kutter, especially for cords.

In my opinion, there is nothing like jumping in and buying a phone to really learn about what you're looking at.  Be sure to post some pics when you've got it all cleaned up!
Paul

andre_janew

Besides eBay, where would you find products like Novus 2 and Krud Kutter?

TelePlay

Quote from: andre_janew on January 27, 2015, 10:55:35 PM
Besides eBay, where would you find products like Novus 2 and Krud Kutter?

Krud Kutter can be found at Home Depot, Wal-mart and Lowes, TractorSupply, Advance Auto Parts and Fastenal to name a few. I'm sure your local hardware store may also carry it. And it works great to take old, hard grease off of the kitchen stove exhaust fan (one of its original purposes).

Novus is a bit more special so you would have to look at your local boat supply stores, motorcycle ships, plastic distributors, those kind of places. Any place that sells stuff with clear plastics. Novus on line at Amazon or eBay may be your best price though, even with shipping. Others may disagree but I haven't been looking for Novus since buying my last gallon some time ago.

andre_janew

Good to know.  I'll have to buy it locally.  My PayPal account is temporarily maxxed out at the moment.

In reply #20 I made a remark about 1950s plastic being stinky.  Does anyone wish to comment on that?  Are you guys too focused on the bad pictures to read the text?

HarrySmith

There is a lot of threads and discussion on the forum about the smell from soft plastic. It is caused by outgassing from the type of plastic used. It is one way to determine a phone is soft plastic.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"